Flashing over speed red led

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:10 pm

g&bporcelain wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:32 pm
i adjusted the magnetic flywheel sensor to 3/4 turns runs and starts great. turned off fuel to check the 5 attempt started they did fine as well. after it warmed up i noticed radiator seemed excessively hot, removed and tested thermostat and it wouldnt open over 200 degrees. I replaced it and flushed cooling system, refilled, and while i was connecting hoses etc and the big wire connector in the middle of the 3 on the alternator was off and when i bumped it it arched acouple of times as it touched the engine. Now it turns over but no start and the green light on my NEW PCB Ignition module is not on . could the arch have damaged the module?
You probably blew a fuse in the system somewhere. I would start checking them to see which one went bad. That also sounds like a possibility for a root cause to your issues...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
g&bporcelain

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Where are fuses other than on the on off switch and battery charger? I traced the hot wire that arched to the starter relay. No fuse there and a another wire at same connection goes to the battery side of starter and stays hot all the time. The wire that came loose and arced could have easily touched the 2 adjacent wires on the alternator. Do these go back to PCB ignition module as a rpm signal or some low voltage signal that could have damaged PCB? Also there is no green light on ignition module while cranking.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:40 pm

Can you take some pictures and post them up so we can see what's going on here? Where the wires were, etc.
g&bporcelain

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:55 pm

I just installed new PCB ignition module. Works fine. It seems to run a little rough but doesn't sound like any cylinders are misfiring. Plugs look good also. This is my first time with an LP engine. Is this a characteristic of LP fuel engine or is there any adjustment on air/ fuel mixture on LP engine? It sounds like an old carburetor gas engine out of adjustment. Thanks for all your help. Evidently when the hot wire came disconnected from the alternator it sparked and touched one of the other two wires going to the PCB and fried it.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:02 pm

Was it connected to natural gas before you acquired it? If so, it may not be configured for LP and will need to be converted per the owner's manual.
g&bporcelain

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:47 pm

no it was lp originally i also replaced the fuel regulator unit with a new one from generac
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:30 pm

Keep in mind that new regulator from Generac would have been set for NG unless you changed out the orifice back to the LP one either included with the new reg, or the one that was in the generator before.
g&bporcelain

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:47 pm

it matched the old set up. the hose going to the engine is connected tot the orfice with the larger hole is this correct?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:54 pm

No, LP will use the smaller brass jet!
g&bporcelain

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:28 pm

great. should i change the orfices or just swap the plug with the nipple hose connector