Installing older g0054160 with RXSW150A3

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Toms73novass

I have acquired an older g0054160 model and was planning on using a service rated whole house transfer switch such as RXSW150A3.

From my research n1 n2 194 and 23 would be hooked up to the new transfer switch control. With no other connections since I would not be taking advantage of any load shedding.

If I were to use my ac I should put on a SURE START AC SOFT STARTER to prevent a overload upon start up.

Does my research seem correct? Any thing I am forgetting?

Thank you.
Tom
Toms73novass

Wanted to add. Not committed to RXSW150A3, just looking for whole house transfer, service rated.
murphy
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the battery charger located?
If it's in the generator then you need a T1 wire to power the charger from a protected circuit whether power is coming from the generator or the power company.
If it's in the switch then you need to feed its output to the battery.
Toms73novass

I believe I will need a dedicated charger in the transfer switch box, I think the one in the generator only works when generator is running.
murphy
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe, maybe not. My 2006 7 kW generator had a charger in the generator.
When the generator was running a separate winding in the alternator powered the charger.
When the generator was not running a step down transformer in the generator powered the charger.
The step down transformer probably got its voltage from N1.
That generator is long gone so I can't verify.
Toms73novass

Looking at my schematic there is a step down transformer that is fed with n1 n2 the output goes into a battery charge relay on one leg. So it might be on board.
Toms73novass

In this case would I need the t1 connection since the step down transformer is already connected to n1 n2?
murphy
Contributor
Contributor

No you don't need the T1 connection.
If that is the same charger that was in my 7 kW you need to monitor the fluid level in the battery. It must be above the top of the plates at all times. With the plates exposed a spark can jump between them which ignites the hydrogen and explodes the battery. If the engine is running when it happens, battery acid gets distributed through the alternator.
Toms73novass

Oh cool pyrotechnics. :thinking:

Thanks for heads up