Generac CorePower Overcranking

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
tsmandel2002

I have a Generac CorePower 58370 now for about 8 years. Recently the weekly cycle did not start the generator. It gave me a code of just overcrank. I tried to manually start it and it would not. It sounded like it is not firing at all. I can smell the gas when it is trying to start. The battery is good. Got it replaced 1.5 years ago. I tried changing the spark plug and that did not work. The service dealer that I used charges an arm and a leg. Just for a yearly tone-up was $420. I had the started replaced less than a year ago for $600. I have spent thousands in repairs and maintenance. I am in the process of looking into replacing it. However I want to make sure this one will work before it gets replaced. I tried two other service dealers and they refuse to work on CorePower. So I'm hoping someone out there can help me to determine the problem. I don't want to get charged hundreds since I'm considering replacing it. I do have a video of the failed manual starting. However looks like I cannot attach it. Any suggestions in the overcrank ? Thank you for any help you can provide.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

The first thing I would check is to see if you have spark. If you smell fuel I would imagine bad ignition coil or something spark related.

If you upload the video to YouTube and then copy/paste the link here, it will auto embed the video for you.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
tsmandel2002

Thank you Chris. I did check if there was a spark with a spark tester and that looked okay. I did replace the spark plug just to be sure. Than I ordered a ignition coil which I just received the other day. I replaced that and got the same results. I did upload a youtube video that hopefully help you or someone else to determine what I should do next. Thank you for any other idea
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

So it does actually try and start! That's different. Check the vent tube coming from the regulator and through the enclosure and clean any mud wasp nests or spider webs!
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
tsmandel2002

Well the good news there was a lot of junk in the tube and in the intake where the tube fix over the regulator. I even used shop vac to get what I could. However it still doesn't start. Do you think the a lot of the dirt and junk got into regulator ? Should I take the cover on the side of the regulator to see if dirt got deep inside. There are about 10 screws holding the side cover of the regulator. Or is there a better way of cleaning it. Thank you for all the advice. I think we are getting closer.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can try. A word of warning: those regulators are sold as a whole item and the gaskets, diaphragm, etc, are not available separately. If you're VERY careful you can get it apart.
tsmandel2002

Hi Chris,

Well I did NOT take the regulator a part feeling that I might have problems with getting the gasket. So I cleaned the the area where the tube goes into the regulator. Than I cleaned and re-seated a few connections. I tried starting manually and on the 3 try it started on manual. I let it run for about 15 minutes without any issues. Thinking it was fixed, I decided to set the exercise cycle and it would not start. Same issue and video as before. The fact that it started, does that give you any clue what it might be. The panel went to "overcrank" when I tried to set the exercise cycle.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

It could still very well be something with the fuel regulator if you found debris in the tube itself. It could also be a valve lash issue not drawing in fuel. Valve adjustments are part of regulator maintenance, so hopefully if you paid that incredible amount in the past, it was done...