Older generac guardian 8kw governor trouble

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Nuthouse

I have older 8kw generac gaurdian model 0055181 that has the mechanical governor and controller no digital display. Motor starts up great but governor is going back and forth. Doesn't maintainer constant rpm. . I can hold and sounds fine any suggestions. Can governor be replaced.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you take a picture of the governor and post it? There should be 2 springs and sometimes the 2nd spring will vibrate off and come apart.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Nuthouse

Chris
Here is link to video of motor running with the governor pulsing.it is not showing as bad as it usually is.

DJ
Birken Vogt
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Good luck.

I have adjusted these so that they run smooth when they are unloaded, then hunt when loaded.

And then if adjusting them so they are smooth when loaded, hunt when unloaded.

It is an extremely fine dance between tension on one spring and on the other, and of course keeping speed in line the whole time.

I am glad electronic governors took over. They have problems too but at least the manufacturer is responsible for it, instead of the technician having to try to be clever when handed a plate of something.

My advice, hook a frequency meter up to it and make minor adjustments to both springs until the hunting is under control and the speed is correct.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

is the connection where the linkage goes to the throttle body sound? Sometimes those linkages wear on the throttle body and will create problems!

Best way to set that governor is to loosen the smaller thin spring so there's no tension (or just remove it for a minute), set the main spring to about 60-61Hz, and then tighten the smaller spring to 62.5Hz.

Also check to make sure the air snorkel isn't moving around and letting air into the intake mistakenly.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power