45kw 2.4L guardian low voltage after changing digital controller

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
sjloghry@gmail.com

My 2006 guardian 45kw started having an issue where it would start up and (ATS) switch to gen power when a power outage occurred but would not switch back to line power when the power was restored. It also did the same thing during exercise mode. A tech from a local Generac service center diagnosed and indicated we needed a new control board. So rather than paying their upcharge for the part and another service call when he came back I opted to order the controller from Gentek and install myself. The original controller was no longer available but a person at Generac confirmed the updated part number, which I ordered and installed. The unit now exercises properly and switches back and forth during exercise or actual outage but now the unit is only producing 160 volts (80v on each leg) and it sounds like it is running quieter/slower. The dip switches are set the same as the old contoller. I assume the lower voltage is related to the controller replacement because I did not have a low voltage issue prior to replacement, but I do not know what to troubleshoot. Please help!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you set the DIP switches after you installed it?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
sjloghry@gmail.com

NO, I set them before I installed it.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds like either the Bosch actuator isn't working properly, or the 50/60Hz setting isn't set properly.

The DIP switches are only read once at PCB power up, so it may be worth pulling the F1 fuse and letting it sit and then rebooting it.

Do you have a meter capable of measuring frequency (Hz)?
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
sjloghry@gmail.com

Yes I have a meter that can measure frequency.
sjloghry@gmail.com

I can pull the fuse and reboot it tomorrow.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Measure the output frequency as well, since that will tell us engine RPM and may give us a clue to the problem.
sjloghry@gmail.com

Ok, pulled f1 fuse this morning for a few minutes, then replaced and started unit. Measured frequency at 45hz, as I suspected, it is running at lower rpm.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you using the set exercise button to start the generator? Sounds to me like either the exercise is trying to run, or we have an issue with the Bosch actuator or something
sjloghry@gmail.com

NO, I started it with the manual start.