RV generac will not start from Inside trailer

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Gwalker

I have a built in Generac on my RV that will not start from the starting switch inside the trailer. I recently had to fix a stuck valve by removing the head. It will start from the outside while holding the start button and holding the throttle open on the carburetor. When the button is being pushed from the inside it does not seem like the auto choke/butterfly door is working correctly. Is there anything I should try or look for? Model 004700-0, thank you in advance for any help that is offered.

Geoff
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is this just a push-button start inside the trailer? I'm wondering if there are just 2-wires from the switch to the generator, or if it's possible that some wires have been damaged or have corrosion on them or something?

Edit: Upon further investigation, is this what yours has?
Generac RV Generator Control Panel Wiring
Generac RV Generator Control Panel Wiring
Generac 40G Control Panel.PNG (49.83 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Gwalker

It is a rocker type switch, push down to prime and hold up to start. The generator turns over and primes using the switch and sometimes but not very often the generator will start.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Based on the image above, I would do some testing and see if you can find out if you have a wire that is loose or damaged, or possibly a faulty switch or something
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Gwalker

Thanks for the wire image, I have checked all wires at the switch and generator all are tight nothing visible wrong. Wondering if since the generator will start if I hold the throttle open while turning over the engine. Could it be possible that the carburetor is dirty/plugged a little?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

It certainly could! With a digital meter, you should be able to verify the switch is working by testing for power at the various wires when the switch is in different positions.