no spark while cranking model 0067020, s/n 9378309

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
mstefano1

Have no spark while trying to crank my generator (checked with a spark checker inline on plug wire). wire 18 ohms out with J2 connector on the 0J8371B controller disconnected ( continuity on wire and infinite to ground). Tried disconnecting 18 wire and jumping across the SCR with the 56 wire disconnected and the engine cranks but still no spark. Brand new controller, magnetos, spark plugs and SCR along with shut down wiring harness to magnetos.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Something doesn't make sense here really..?

Without the 18 wire grounded when you crank the unit you should get spark. If you're really not, that would lead me to think the mags are installed incorrectly, or the flywheel has an issue?

What issue started all of the parts swapping?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
mstefano1

possible lightning strike. Found the generator had a red light and blown T1 fuse along with the 7.5amp fuse and no screen on controller. I have had two different techs look at it and we can't find anything wrong with it. The flywheel magnet has plenty of magnetism and the gap on magnetos is set to .010 with a business card. We did notice that the 14 wire going to the FS only shows about 3.4volts when cranking. FS was replaced also. The 194 wire is showing battery voltage of 12.79volts at TB1. I'm not sure how the controller works, but I have a schematic of the rest of the system. Just don'y know the test point and what to look for on what pins. I have checked most of the wiring for continuity and they have checked out. One tech tried another new controller and we had the same reading on the 14 wire.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

So basically the unit will crank, but not start. I also assume that since the 14 wire voltage is so low, you don't have fuel either?

I would double check the spark with a spark plug grounded somewhere on the valve cover to MAKE SURE you really don't have spark... It sounds like there have been many different avenues explored here and many parts changed with the same results, so we need to stick with one thing and see it all the way through...
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
mstefano1

grounded plug and no spark. will tear down unit to get to the magnetos and flywheel again. I checked continuity from valve cover bolt and from threaded hole for plug and read 0.00 ohms. This was to chassis ground
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also make sure that the coils are facing the correct direction. BOTH plug wires should face towards the rear of the unit.