Error Code 1902 On First Exercise

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
kowrip

Hello. I'm new to the generator world. My wife and I just had a 16KW Generac 7178 installed. During installation, they ran a few tests, which were all successful. However, on its first test run a couple of days ago, it stopped after 1 minute with a 1902 undervoltage error code. I cleared the error, disabled the quiet test mode and scheduled it to run today. Today, it completed the exercise successfully. I have read a few posts online where other people have experienced the same issue. Is there a known issue with the quiet test mode ? I reached out to the installer, who told me to try changing it back to quiet test and keep him posted on the next few exercise runs. I was just looking for more information on this problem. I definitely want to know if there is a REAL problem with the unit because it would really suck to have the unit fail during a real power loss. Thanks in advance !

- Kris
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

The short answer is yes. The new 816CC engines seem to have an issue when running the low speed Quiet Test where they are stalling. When they stall, or begin to stall, you can get any range of alarms from RPM loss to undervoltage. My suggestion would just be to go into the edit menu, then exercise time, and then select NO when setting the Quiet Test mode.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
kowrip

Thank you very much for the information. Do you know if Generac has acknowledged this issue ? I didn't see anything on their site and my installer said he hasn't seen this issue on any of their other installations. On a side note, it was about 60 degrees out on the day it failed. We also have the cold weather kit installed since I'm in Pennsylvania and it can get pretty cold in the winter.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

We're in Michigan so I'm sure our climates are similar. I doubt that you will see anything on their customer facing side of their site... My guess is that there is already a firmware update in the works for this since I'm sure they don't want their new engine platform getting bad reviews. To be honest, I like the full speed test anyways, especially in cold climate areas since it allows them to warm up a little bit during the run. If your unit is connected to WiFi, it should automatically grab the latest updates and the issue may correct itself later down the road.

Your installer may not be a Generac dealer and so that may be why he hasn't talked with Generac about it, I'm not sure? I have personally seen it happen to a customer of mine here and the removal of the low speed test solved it moving forward.
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
kowrip

So, I called my installer and he told me to change it back to "Quiet Test" and let him know if the problem continues. Today, it attempted to do its exercise run in quiet mode and failed once again with error code 1902, undervoltage. I once again disabled quiet test and scheduled it to run 30 minutes later. It ran with no issue. I'm going to let him know. He said he hasn't seen this issue and they have installed quite a few generators. So, I'd like to see if I can get any additional information. If there's a known issue, that's fine. I just don't want to know if there is a real issue ! How prevalent is this problem ? I have been able to find very little with online searches.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

The issue is known and a firmware fix for it was just released last night. Your installer is probably not a dealer if they've not heard of it... If your generator is connected to WiFi, the firmware can be updated via the WiFi and you should not notice issues after the update. If it's not connected to WiFi, a firmware update will need to be installed by your local dealer (or installer if he is a dealer).

Not sure why your installer is having you change it back? Full speed tests allow the unit to warm up a little bit more and help to cut down on milky oil a bit. Rest assured that there's nothing 'really' wrong with the generator and that it's just a glitch with the low speed exercise test making the unit stall.
kowrip

Thanks for the information. I believe you're right that his business is not Generac-certified. I'll check to see what firmware I have. I know it downloaded a big update last week after I set up Wi-Fi for the first time.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

1.09 is the current Evolution 2.0 firmware, HOWEVER there is a new 'build number' which will update and push the fix. The firmware version will remain 1.09.
kowrip

So, I went out and had it download and install the update. It took a while since the generator is pretty far from my router. In any case, I scheduled a quiet test exercise. Sure enough, it succeeded after the new update was installed. That's the first successful quiet test exercise. I listened to it during the test and I see exactly what you mean. It sounded like it was going to stall, but it would pick up after that. Well, I'm satisfied that I got a successful quiet test, but I did change it back to full speed as you recommended. It makes sense to test it at the full speed, unless you live in an area where you are likely to disturb your neighbors. Thanks for all the information. Hopefully, the generator doesn't fail us when we need it !