48KW RPM Sense Loss Error

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Sleep_Well

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:46 am

Generator - Generac 48KW liquid cooled placed 3/2013. Cycles every Friday Night. Never any issues. Always maintained. 3 days after a recent Friday Night cycle with no power loss and not time for weekly cycle (so it was not trying to run) it displays an error code.

"RPM sense loss"

I read a lot of information on the Gentek Power site as well as others. Did my trouble shooting. Battery checked out fine for load but I still replaced it because it was 3.5 years old. The GENERAC 0D2244M MAGNETIC PICKUP RPM SENSOR 3/8"-24 THREAD FOR LIQUID COOLED engines part....when i removed it, there were no particles on it and did not look damaged. I wiped it off and checked the resistance (I could not get it to read any resistance trying multiple times in the generator and out of the generator. It has 3 wires (red, black, silver unsheathed). The generator manually turns over maybe 3/4 of a turn it seems like then shuts down and gives the error WITH the OD2244M being connected, it does the exact same thing WITHOUT the OD2244M being connected.

First question - what is the proper way to test the OD2244M, are the black and red wires the ones I should be testing? I want to make sure I am testing this correctly, it is supposed to read about 1K Ohms.

I ordered a new OD2244M because it seems like the starter would not turn over at all and or the relay would not tell the starter to turn over at all if they were the culprits? As well as that the error started I assume without a start cycle trying to occur because there was no record of power loss and it was not a weekly cycle time when the error occurred. Can I check them to be sure somehow?

Any other parts or processes I should check?

Thank you
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:23 pm

If you have no resistance out of the black and red wires on the mag pickup, that is the trouble. That's exactly the symptoms of a bad mag pickup!

If you don't mind me asking, did you order it from me?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Sleep_Well

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:18 am

Thank you for your response, I will replace it when your part arrives and hopefully it fires up like usual.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:35 am

You mentioned 'when your part arrives', did you buy from me? I'm asking because I don't see an order for a mag pickup anytime recently in our system and want to make sure there wasn't a mistake!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power