Remote start, NG 17Kw

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Lioneye724

Hello all,
New to this forum, but grateful to see such a resource of knowledge. I have just installed a 17Kw, NG Generac unit with a 200A ATS. All working well. The unit is located about 80' from mu house, and the ATS is remote as well (main service located away from the structure).
We have outages the can be extended, and I don't need my generator running continuously. I'd like to shut it off at night and restart it in the AM without having to physically go to the generator itself and shutting it off. Is there a way I can intercept the control wires (0, 23 and 194) and/or the line voltage wires and provide a single or multipole toggle switching arrangement at the house? Something that would stop and start the prime mover so I can manage my gas consumption? I have a conduit pathway already installed when I did the gas line, just in case.
Unit serial # is 3002252964. I'm a licensed commercial electrician, so that part of it is not an issue.
Thanks!
Mike
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately the problem with shutting down the unit under load and then restarting it is that you have no way to disconnect the load from the generator unless the power has come back on during the time the unit was shut off.

It's very hard on the generator to try and restart it with the house still connected. I've even seen units not start at all and throw undervoltage alarms and things of that nature. It's like trying to start a stick shift car while in gear...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
MacL
Contributor
Contributor

I can't think of anyway to stop the engine remotely that would either cause a fault (that would need to be cleared), or cause repeated attempts to restart itself.

Except for the high temperature circuit, it does not create a fault that would need to be cleared. At least the earliest models did not create a latching fault on high temperature.

So you'd need a switch loop out to the generator and back, and a main circuit breaker in the house ideally to remove all load.

If your controller says Evolution 2.0 the temp and oil circuits have to be connected to run (oil switch normally open, temp switch normally closed). It's the opposite on Evolution 1.0.

Let's say it's 2.0

First I'd test the temp switch to make sure it will try to re-crank once it cools off. While running carefully (without breaking a terminal) disconnect a wire from the bi-metal switch; the generator should stop and the display will say "high temperature". Now re-connect the wire, if the generator begins to crank, then you need to put a switch in series with the bi-metal and run the two wires back to the house.

If the generator does not try to crank once you reconnect the switch then you're out of luck.

If it's 1.0 you will not need your switch in series, but across the two wires that go to the temp switch, where closing the toggle switch will short the temperature wire to ground.

Before starting and stopping the generator open your main breaker and add load gradually after re-starting it.
You don’t know what you don’t know.
Lioneye724

Great information all! I get it, and of course it makes great sense. I do have the ability to shut off the main from inside the house, so that can be done. Just didn't want to go out in the middle of a stormy night to do a shutdown, and then a restart in the morning. Sometimes in a couple feet of snow, and I'm in my slippers! just wanted the option if needed.
Thanks again for the info, and i"ll do some tests.
Great forum BTW, I'll spend some time here I'm sure.
Mike
Birken Vogt
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The best way to do it would be to install some sort of large contactor to delay on pickup and drop before shutting down the engine. Use a different transfer switch that uses 2 wire start and interrupt the 2 wire start which would stop the generator engine.

That would be expensive but it's the right way.
EnemyOf1

Did that work? Find out another way to do this?
grsthegreat
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

there is one person i know that did this, and it takes alot of electrical knowledge. as stated before, you would need a inline contactor that can be remotely controlled to drop out the load, then a remote circuit to kill the 2 wire lead to generator. the generator would have to be converted to 2 line control and a different transfer switch used. personally, i would no do it for several reasons. first off if snow storm is so bad that you dont want to go out there to shut it down, how do you know snow has not covered generator and when its started the air flow is obstructed and you burn out unit. i have replaced motors in 3 generators that were destroyed by running generator when snow covered. on one unit i had to dig down to find generator. in this particular case, owner was infirmed and forgot to hire someone to keep it cleared.

im good with electrical work, but no so good with electronics. Heck, i installed a brownout device in my own transfer switch....but heck if i can figure out how it actually works. the weird thing is i installed the Genmon monitoring system in my own generator and it has the ability to remotely turn ON the generator AND switch the transfer switch AS LONG AS UTILITY POWER IS PRESENT. but i cannot remotely turn off the generator if power is not present. you would think that there would be some device that could be placed on switch that could divert generator power to switch and allow to shut down generator.

who knows, maybe soon they will figure this out. in my own case i can easily go out to generator to manually shut it down when i go to sleep, but i would dearly love to be able to do so remotely if im away traveling. i get text and email prompts when the generator is running, or power drops off grid, etc and i would like to be able to control run cycles while traveling.

for now i have to leave key for generator with neighbor when traveling....so i guess this is my mode of remote control.