Evolution controller defaults to off after power outage

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
DennisR

I have a 17 KW Generac with an evolution controller. 2017 model. When its set to run it stays there and exercises fine. Once we have a power outage it starts and functions normally. Once the utility has restored power the generator shuts down normally but the controller defaults to off instead of staying on auto. any ideas. There are no codes. If I reset it to auto its ready again. I'm miffed
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

This sounds like a firmware issue honestly. I would have it updated to the latest version and see if that fixes it!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
DennisR

The odd thing is it worked perfect for 2 years
DennisR

I'll check the firmware next week when I'm at that house to see what it is.
MacL
Contributor
Contributor

This problem should be easy to cause for testing purposes by simply opening the main circuit breaker in the switch and causing a loss of utility.

Upon opening the breaker, the display should read "Utility Loss Delay" and show a countdown timer;
At the end of the countdown it should read "Cranking 1st Attempt";
Once started it should read "Warming Up" for 5 seconds;
After 5 seconds, transfer to the generator should occur, and the display will read "Running";

Once you close the main breaker, after 10 seconds, re-transfer should occur and the display will read "Cooling Down";
After 60 more seconds of running the cool down, the generator should stop and the display should read "Stopping";
As the engine comes to rest the display should read "Ready to Run"

My question is about the bolded line; what does your display read after the engine stops at the end of the cooldown?
You don’t know what you don’t know.