Honeywell 12k 7.5a blown after mistake

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
machineica

Hello all.

TLDR:
Unit Honeywell 12k standby generator. Model 0060541
I put a battery charger that was left on 200a fast charge on my battery that was dead due to power disconnected. Now blows 7.5a fuse instantly.

The story below.

I messed up bad I believe. I have a Honeywell standby generator that is inop. Keeps blowing 7.5a fuse after I did something stupid.

The battery had died in it because I forgot to disconnect it. The wiring was disconnected for a few weeks as I was redoing the electrical on the home.

I went to start it up to test run it and the display was dead. I checked the battery and voltage was 1.17v

So instead of pulling the battery and charging I connected my battery charger to it and turned it on. The main thing is I left the charger in 200a start position since I just had a battery issue in my car the day before.

Well before I noticed and swapped it to 2a slow charge I heard a pop. 7.5 a fuse blown for sure. Went to the garage and found a pack. Waited a few hours for the battery to charge up and put a fuse in and blows instantly.

Michael Rock
machineica

Battery voltage 12.65 Currenly. Display will light up for a split second before fuse blows.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Probably not a real good sign :sad:

I would suggest removing the 23 and 194 wires in the transfer switch and seeing if it holds. Occasionally you can damage a load shed module and it will do this. That 7.5A fuse protects the 12V stuff in the generator.

You could also have a wire rubbed through somewhere in the 194 circuit.

More than likely the controller is cooked
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
machineica

Figures. Anything else to check. The 6 control wires were disconnected when this happened. I had since reconnected them. I lifted the 23 and 194 wires and installed fuse. Connected battery and blown.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

That does not sound like good news :sad:
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
tbonini
Contributor
Contributor

If your lucky (relative term), you may have just fried your on board battery charger. When you put your auto battery charger in start mode, it removes all regulation and dumps whatever the transformer and regulator of the charger can put out right to the battery with no regulation at all. This could also have voltages at 16V or higher. The on board battery charger will see this excess voltage and try to sink it and bring it back down to 13 to 14 volts but there is no way it can match the huge transformers capability in your automotive battery charger. This will cause it to overheat and do one of two things. Either is opens up and severs the connection between the on board charger and the battery or it shorts out and eliminates any regulation of the on board chargers voltage. If this is what happened, then your on board charger is also now putting out excessive voltage and blowing the fuse. You seeing the lights light up briefly indicates that the controller may still be alive. Try fully disconnecting the on-board battery charger from the system and then replace the 7.5 A fuse and see what happens. It should be located right next to the AVR. If the control panel lights up and stays that way, then you just need to replace the charger which is much less than the controller. If the controller LED's still go out, then you have a bad controller but I would then check the output of the battery charger to make sure that it is also not damaged and would fry the new controller when installed.
machineica

I wish I would have read this before the controller. Ah well new issue now. Controller replaced. Generator now runs again. Yay! Problem is at first was over speeding and shutting down. Looked that the throttle rod and pulled it back. Generator able to start and run. Appears to have no throttle control. Maybe the voltage or amerage surge killed the throttle servo?

Michael Rock
machineica

Throttle will only move to wide open when wires messed with. Like when touched or pulled on.

Also linkage is real tight.

Michael Rock
machineica

0d4522 I'm guessing. Isnt there a self check the motor is supposed to do like run the throttle in and out before running or something?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's the serial number for the unit and where did you get the controller? Trying to determine which controller you have.