geneator will not come up to speed / shuts down afte 5 seconds

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Carlosm

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:09 am

Model 0043893 - 7000 Watt Natural Gas. one cylinder and the unit does not have a choke. The unit has been in storage for some time. Installed for the first time and is being wired directly to a residential panel without using the transfer switch. The unit will start up immediately with the panel rocker switch located under the top cover. The 30 amp breaker on the anel was slos in the off position. The unit lopes and does not get up to a reasonable speed. Shuts down after a few seconds. Tested the oil pressure switch and the oil level both good. Static gas pressure at the meter seems to be over 9 inches tested with a home maid manometer. 8 feet of 1 inch piping to the unit from the meter, so i'm pretty sure i would have enough volume.
looking for suggestions on where to go with the troubleshooting.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:09 am

Well, I have a few questions...

1. Why is the unit backfeeding a residential panel like that? Or is this being used as the only supply to that panel?
2. Do you have a way to keep the battery charged, it will die without utility power unless the system fuse is pulled when not in use.
3. The natural gas pressure is too high at 9" if that's really what the pressure is based on the home made manometer.
4. Has anyone done a valve adjustment and general tune up on the unit?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power