Error code 1505 after evolution controller replacement

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
jfharrispe

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:05 pm

20 kw air cooled, natural gas fueled, Model 006250. unit was set to not exercise automatically and had been that way for a couple of months. when attempting to set on auto, Evolution LED was blank. Upon inspection found smoke residue near terminals 14, 15, 16 ,17 on J1 connector. and on Evolution controller at vicinity of those terminals. My assumption is a surge occurred on the utility sensing wiring, J! connector terminals 16, 17(N1,N2). Replaced(original) battery and Evolution controller. Unit attempted to start (cranked for about 3 seconds). two error messages: Error 1505 RPM sensor failure and something about battery. I read "Generac error code 1505 sense loss explained & how to fix". Reworked utility source connection at TB2. Electrician used stranded #12 which did not want to release from terminal board. Finally got N2 released and spliced in soild #14. Never could get N1 stranded wire to free up. Rechecked voltage and now have proper voltage on N1 and N2 where there was zero before. Rechecked J! terminals 14, 16,17. Now have 240 volts on 16, 17 and 12 volts on 14. Not certain what changed on 12 volt side; I have not found any bad connections.

Still have error code 1505 appear when trying manual start. cranks strong for 3 seconds. Since unit cranks strong, I have ruled out starting relay, solenoid and starter? I am suspecting the surge may have shorted an ignition module or both. Is there any way to verify? Are they both the same part. Is there any magic to replacing and getting correctly positioned? I have not looked for them yet; I assume I can access them without having to remove the other side and two ends of the housing?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Many times a lightning strike shows these symptoms and almost always wipes out the ignition coils.

The new coil kit is here: https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... generators

They get replaced in pairs, ALWAYS. Comes with directions once you get to them. It's a project though...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
jfharrispe

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:40 am

I have ordered ignition coils

FYI
I have also installed tvss on utility sensing n1 & n2 on the load side of the fuses at the cutler hammer transfer switch
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:44 am

I saw your order and it will go out today, should be there in 3 days. The surge suppressor is probably a good idea, T1 should also have protection since it's a 120V line to the controller for the charger. They may not protect against a lightning strike though if that's what happened. :sad:
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
jfharrispe

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:58 pm

is there a path of least resistance to access flywheel. looks to me liketotal enclosure disassembly, gas and power disconnect, disconnect all control wires, and remove front engine cowl?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:34 pm

You're pretty much right on with that :sad: It's not a pleasant repair, and some of the fasteners on the back side can be a real pain to access. It's basically done blind.