new 7173 on the way...

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Birken Vogt
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Is the generator running and stopping on 2-wire start command from the transfer switch, or is it sensing N1/N2 and deciding when to start and stop itself?

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Exactly Chris!

The GE-Zenith MX50 control board programming app has selections for Zero thru 5 minutes, in one minute steps, for return to Mains, and engine cool-down. It might work on one minute, but I am going for Zero just to ensure no hiccups.
I have a high degree of confidence this will be working soon.

Martin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Birken,

The Gen starts/stops using N1/N2 sensing, and it's own built-in timers. the ATS is using it's own controller and timers to control and operate the switch only (no gen control). 2 brains for one system.
Birken Vogt
Contributor
Contributor

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:36 pm

The obvious question is how did you protect N1/N2 and T1 as they leave the enclosure?

I will reiterate that I would have made this into a 2 wire start controller, which is the right way for a transfer switch that controls the generator.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:47 am

N1/N2, and T1 lines are "protected" by the insulation on the wire, the conduit they are in, and 3 new 5A fuses in CC fuseholders I installed in the transfer switch.

The right way is the way that works perfectly, and safely. That may be the way (2 wire conversion) that you are suggesting, or, as Generac almost demands... using their own ATS. There is also the way I am attempting using my existing GE-Zenith ATS that seems to cover proper operation, and safety as well. The ATS still uses it's controller, (it's own) that only operates the switch. The Gen has it's own controller that operates only the Gen, and not the switch. As long as the timing is good between the two, it should be good to go.
Birken Vogt
Contributor
Contributor

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:06 pm

I was just wondering about fuse holders, thanks. Since the ATS did not come with them but you have that covered.

I have seen in the past where they were running 240v sensing over telephone wire with no protection through the rafters of the house.

You are correct about getting the timing right. But one other issue might be utility voltage sensing. The ATS has its own idea of what utility voltage should fall under and the generator has its own idea. So one might actuate without the other.