new 7173 on the way...

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions

Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:43 am

I want to use my old transfer switch with my new 7173. ATS has it's own utility power sense controller. So I can hook up the yellow wires fused from N1/N2 to the Gen N1/N2, 0 to 0 Gnd. , Red 12V from Gen Batt. to the ATS Controller power 12V in, and T1 fused to supply 120V to battery chgr. I think this works.
ATS has it's own switch controller, and Gen has it's own start/stop controller. Batt in Gen keeps the ATS controller on with 12V. Sound right? :thinking:
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:40 am

Can you post some info about the transfer switch?

It sounds like that will work fine since the unit will start when N1/N2 power is lost. Works like a Briggs and Stratton transfer switch.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:41 am

Hi and thanks!

Through some testing I found the ATS is actually operating off the Transfer Voltage T1/T2, but maybe using 12V as well, when power is lost. It is a GE Zenith ATS similar to this one... http://apps.geindustrial.com/publibrary ... 1000%7CPDF
Used on the old Onan RS12000 GRCA generator. I think it will work still, but until it is all hooked up, hard to really know for sure.
thanks again!
Birken Vogt
Contributor
Contributor

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:59 pm

I would convert the generator to 2 wire start and use it the same way the GRCA was hooked up. If you hook it up the Generac way with N1/N2 the transfer switch and generator will be operating each on their own set of timers and voltage sensing and the generator might stop before the transfer switch has retransferred or something like that. That kind of transfer switch wants to have control of everything, the Generac way is just cheaper but no reason to do it here.

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:51 am

Hi,

Thank you, Yes, you are right, the timings may be different causing incompatible things to happen. So, how do I convert it to 2 wire start/stop then, and fool it that it is getting a N1/N2 start/stop Voltage or not?

Martin

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:43 am

Apparently it's a much deeper problem with Generac. They have made it impossible to use any other ATS with newer generators. When you go to register your new Gen online they also want the Generac ATS Serial Number. Buy from us only attitude!!! :angry:
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:09 am

That's not true, the serial number for the ATS isn't required, just needed if you plan on using a Generac switch so that the warranty covers the switch as well!
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:11 am

2 wire start is most likely going to require a dealer's help. It requires either moving the N1/N2 pins or adding a 2 wire start kit which includes new pins. It also requires access to the dealer menu to program the 2-wire start options.

You have to understand that these units were designed to work with their own gear.

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Almost there... Generac starts up on power loss. Switch throws to Emergency shortly after. The last problem...
Utility power returns, Generac shuts down after 1 min 15 secs, and immediately GE-Zenith ATS goes back to Util with a less than a second loss of transfer power. I have sent the MX50 board for programming the timers for Zero second delays on Utility back up. It's not impossible. Both the Generac Gen, and GE-Zenith switch should have more than enough brains between them to become compatible...
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:47 pm

The transfer switch is the one doing all of the thinking here, so basically when utility power returns, the transfer switch needs to beat the generator to the punch when transferring back to utility power. I would think a 30 second delay would be good!