27KV LP Starting Problem

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
fazam

Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:05 pm

I have a 2 years old Generac LP 27KV Model #:RG02724ANAX that has about 100 hours on it (from use over the last 2 years). This generator has had on and off problems with starting (for exercise and during power outages) ever since we purchased (new in 2017), that our dealer has been working on.

Since the yearly service in June 2019, the generator has consistently failed to start (for exercise and 1 outage). The dealer again has been working with generac and has replaced the board, some (mag) sensor and a few other things, but without any luck. Sometimes, I can get it to start manually after a few tries/fails with different error codes (1501, 1502, 2609) and backfires. Once it starts, it seems to run fine. According to the dealer, there are phantom issues/bugs with this LP series and he is working with generac on the resolution but I don't have high hopes so am turning to experts here for guidance and help.
Thanks!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:06 pm

He would be lying about the 'phantom' issues. They have been using that 2.4L engine for literally almost 20 years and they are great motors.

The backfiring and hard starting make me think there are fuel issues or the unit was never properly converted to LP....
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
fazam

Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Thanks for your quick response Chris! One correction to my original post, the generator is actually running on natural gas and not LP. I agree with you that it seems to be a fuel issue but the dealer does not think so. I wonder if the natural gas pressure is low and causing these starting issues, but I have no way of confirming it.
Thanks again!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:41 am

It's also possible that it's too high depending on the install.

Post some pics of the install and fuel system, like size and length.
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
fazam

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks Chris!
Here are some pictures.
IMG_1377.jpg
IMG_1377.jpg (87.32 KiB) Viewed 27 times
Attachments
IMG_1376.jpg
IMG_1376.jpg (77.8 KiB) Viewed 27 times
IMG_1373.jpg
IMG_1373.jpg (95.71 KiB) Viewed 27 times
IMG_1374.jpg
IMG_1374.jpg (103.93 KiB) Viewed 27 times
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:35 pm

It looks from the pictures to be a 1" line feeding it from underground, does that sound right? If so, how far in feet would you say the line is from the meter to the gen?

Also, can you take a pic of the meter nameplate as well? It looks quite old and usually an install like this would warrant a meter upgrade to make sure you have the fuel needed.

We also really need to know the fuel pressure... This is the meter I use and trust: https://amzn.to/2VG3mul
fazam

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:35 am

Thanks again Chris.
Yes, the line feeding the generator is 1'. The meter is on the side of the house whereas the generator is on the backside corner with a total distance of about 10 ~ 12 feet from the meter. The line from the meter goes above ground along the side of the house and then goes underground around the corner and then comes out behind the generator. The generator had to be installed this way on the backside of the house due to town regulations around conservation land being less than 100 feet (97') away on the side (where the meter is located). The gas meter was replaced in 2017, please see the pictures below.
Btw, the dealer also came by yesterday with an electrician and they got the generator to start after cleaning up some electrical contacts around the board and the spark plugs. They will come back again later this week, once the generator has exercised (or failed) on its own.
Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1385.jpg
IMG_1385.jpg (107.4 KiB) Viewed 11 times
IMG_1384.jpg
IMG_1384.jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 11 times
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:08 am

That meter looks like a 425 meter which should be capable of running that unit, and the gas line seems alright at only 10' in length.

I'm still leaning towards a fuel issue. I would have them check to make sure the correct fuel jet is installed in the regulator. I have actually seen one ship with the wrong jet before and it caused all kinds of issues. I would also check the spark plugs and wireset to make sure there are no cracks or issues.