Any reason why you can’t replace a dc2 with rdc2?

Kohler Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Wondering if there’s any reason you can’t replace a dc2 controller with an rdc2 or any downside to it.
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:05 am

I wish I had more experience with Kohler stuff nrp3, maybe Chris will chime in. I have installed only one Kohler and worked on 3.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 am

I reached out to a Kohler tech friend of mine and he said that the DC2 to RDC2 conversion is much like the change from a Generac Nexus B board to D version. It would require a special conversion harness which has a relay in it.

Sounds like the RDC2 controllers won't require the use on SiteTech software for setup, where the DC2 does require it.

My knowledge of Kohler is quite limited as well, so I'd confirm that information, but he's a very good source!

Hope this helps!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:03 am

There's green boards, red boards, and blue boards, and I believe if you were changing a green to a later red or blue, you needed that harness. Which reminds me, I need to pick up another. When I pulled the board out of a new unit I have to go to the service call, I had to do just that, green to a later board and use the harness adapter. I figured the DC2 was just less functional and something that was sold with big box units to save some money.
Birken Vogt
Contributor
Contributor

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:05 pm

The green -> red/blue harness issue is different than the DC2 -> RDC2 issue. Green was an old one and the other colors are newer and they changed the harness when the left the green board.

So if you are changing from a green board anything to a newer one you will need to install the upgrade.

Now to the original issue, I believe it is true that the DC2 and RDC2 are electrically identical on the back. It is just the buttons and software that are different. So it SHOULD work. Just budget some time for the inevitable issues that crop up when attempting something like this.
Carehisperer

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:22 pm

When attempting a replacement/upgrade from a DC2 to any version of a ADC2 controller, be astutely aware that the communications link are drastically different from the generator and ATS units. The Kohler ATS units will require an update of their GMxxxx internal control boards in order to communicate...

...- a word to the wise....
Birken Vogt
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Carehisperer wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:22 pm
When attempting a replacement/upgrade from a DC2 to any version of a ADC2 controller, be astutely aware that the communications link are drastically different from the generator and ATS units. The Kohler ATS units will require an update of their GMxxxx internal control boards in order to communicate...

...- a word to the wise....
I think what you are thinking is an upgrade from RDC to RDC2 or DC to DC2. Any of the modern (2) controllers interact fine with any of the RXT type accessories that have been produced for many years.
Carehisperer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:27 pm

Ok. Help appreciated.
Am I correct that when upgrading a 20RES from a RDC controller, you can install a RDC2 with the GM95014 harness adapter cable and the generator will function perfectly. Also,
In order to has communications from the ATS, an upgrade would also be necessary to have a RXT series so the digital comma will work.
When all three changes are made, things should work fine???

This is my plan... should it work??