New 20kw Honeywell Won't Charge the Battery

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
joepiccaso

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:48 pm

I'm new to this board, new to Standby Generators totally. I have a Honeywell/Generac 20kw generator I purchased from Costco, and installed myself about two weeks ago.

Model #: G0070632
S#: 3004256278
Controller: Evolution 2
Fuel: NG
ATS: Came with the Generator. 200A Single Ph
Model #: 10000011751 (Install manual Says: RXSM200A3)
S#: 3004224911
It has a brand new battery and it was fully charged before installing it. When I hooked it up I got a warning "Check Battery." Check What? I couldn't find anything wrong, but also couldn't find exactly what the warning meant either. I ran it through it's initial tests and it all tested out OK, except for the Check Battery warning. It actually ran twice (2 hrs.) due to power outages and worked great. I was trying to figure out a way to troubleshoot the charging system after it had run some. I checked the battery and the battery voltage was about 11+V, it was 12.7v when I first put it in. I cranked the machine once more to see if it would throw another code. It didn't. I got a load tester and checked it. It was still just a hair above 11V and only dropped very slightly on the load test. Then I got a "Low Battery" warning and felt the battery wasn't being charged. I felt like from some reading that the Battery charging system was in the Evo controller, and that the T1 control wire was the one that kept the battery charged while under regular power and something else in the system charges it when the generator is running. A couple of days ago, I was poking around in the ATS when I saw that the Black (0 Ground) Control wire was hanging loose. I reattached it, but it still didn't seem to make it charge. I checked for voltage on the control wires in the ATS. This is what I got:
T1 - Blue No Voltage
N1 - Yellow 120 vac
N2 - Yellow w/Black 120 vac
0 Ground (Black) no voltage
194 (Red) 12vdc

I get no voltages at the small fuses below (T1, N1, & N2), but the fuses checked out OK with a continuity test. Anyway, the battery must have gotten too low and the Red Light came on (Stopped). I let it sit for a day and checked it again. The battery read 3.5vdc and the load test went to zero. So, I may have crushed the battery. I took it out this morning and put it on the charger. It seemed to be taking a charge, but I'll know tonight when I get home and do another Load Test on it. I still won't know if the Charging system is working, though.

I just don't know how to tell if the charging system is working. Other than "Check Battery" and "Low Battery," I haven't gotten any messages on the Evo or the WiFi App. Any thoughts?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:25 am

So, the T1 wire with no voltage is your problem. The charger needs 120V from the transfer switch's T1 fuse to charge the battery. Can you take some pics of the wiring and post them here?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
joepiccaso

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:44 pm

Sorry, this is my 1st post and I didn't know I was approved yet. Sure, what do you want pictures of? The ATS or Generator wiring, or both? I assume the wiring for the Control wires?

Now if a Fuse in the ATS was blown, would that keep me from getting voltage at the T1 Wire connection? I checked for voltage at the connecting screws and at the small fuses. None for T1 in either place. I did get 120 AC voltage for the two Yellow wires, and DC voltage on the 194 wire.

I have to admit, that when I ordered the Generac Cable for my install, I came up a foot short, I couldn't get it through the wall like I thought. Lesson . . . order more than you need. I had to put a small junction box on the wall outside and splice all of the wires. So, the colors of the control wires don't match at the generator. My Bad. The attached picture is the ATS during the install. let me know what more specifically you want pictures of and I'll post them.
Thanks
Attachments
ATS.jpg
ATS.jpg (89 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Would like some pics of the ATS as it is now, and as well as the generator's wiring if possible. Might show us the cause.
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
joepiccaso

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:46 pm

I think I may have solved my problem. I went down to the ATS this morning to take some pictures and re-test those control wires and fuses to be sure I was correct. It all tested out as I previously said. I reached down inside the case to retrieve a bag of spare fuses I had bought to test them for continuity, while I was testing stuff. That's when I noted a Blue Wire hanging loose. It was the T1 wire that was supposed to be connected to the T1 terminal for the power going to the service panel. It was hanging just below the terminal and behind the T & E cables coming off of the power switch.

When I was installing the ATS the lug for the E2 cable was loose and when I torqued the lug it twisted and broke the plastic guard beside it. The Wire in the lug seemed quite tight, but the connection of the lug to the case felt a bit loose, so I loosened it to re-tighten the lug and it felt even more loose. Even though the wire in the lug was plenty tight, I feared the connector itself may still be loose and create resistance. So I had to take that whole piece out to tighten the connections from the back side. The two Yellow wires that connected above where the main feed came it I put back fine. But I either forgot the Blue (T1) wire or didn't get it on properly.

Anyway, I plugged it back in and got voltage on the T1 screw as I should. I assume I should also, get 120vac at the generator on the T1 line? I haven't gotten that far yet. oddly enough, I didn't have any warnings or codes about the T1 line not being hot. One would think with a machine as sophisticated as this that there would be a battery of diagnostics and error messages. I still won't know if the battery is charging until it isn't and I get a Low Battery Warning.

I attached a few pictures. Thanks for the help.
My ATS.T1 wire.jpg
My ATS.T1 wire.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 96 times
My ATS.jpg
My ATS.jpg (124.21 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Joe
Attachments
My ATS.Contol Wire Block.jpg
My ATS.Contol Wire Block.jpg (103.08 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:51 pm

That would certainly explain the problem! The controller will give a warning of 'Charger Missing AC' when the T1 isn't energized, however the low battery warnings probably came after and so were the first ones on the screen when you saw it.
joepiccaso

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Thanks, Chris. Yea, it's a bit weird since the T1 apparently had never been connected. I never saw that message, even when the battery was strong. i did get a Check battery message, but check What? Anyway, I'll do some more testing this weekend to be sure I have T1 juice at the generator. Getting to the battery and wires in the generator is such a pill. I hope I can figure out how to test the charger.

I feel a whole lot better now. Thank you.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Testing is easy! Check voltage on battery with digital meter and record the number, crank unit for a second or 2, measure and record again, then put the meter on and you should be seeing the voltage rise back to where it was before you started (around 13.5VDC)
joepiccaso

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks, Chris. That makes sense. Force the charger to come on. I’ll try it today.

One more question. I’ve heard some say they test the Generator under load instead of the automatic no-load test. Is that a good thing? I assume you have to just throw the main power switch? If I do that how long do I let it run?

You’ve been a big help. Thank you, Joe
murphy

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:10 am

If you never test under load then you know the engine works but you don't know if the switch and the alternator work.
During a power failure is not the time you want to find that out.