Flashing Red Lights and Clicking

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Farm Turtle

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:30 pm

All lights except System light. Generator starts in auto or manual. Not sensing utility. Is this what is causing lights to flash?

How to trouble shoot?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:33 pm

If all of the red lights are flashing at once, it means the exercise timer isn't set.

This (and the clicking) are sure signs of a bad/dead battery.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Farm Turtle

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:03 pm

I replaced battery. Lights still flashing but constant clicking in unison with lights flashing has stopped. Cannot set excercise because when switch is in auto or manual position the generator runs. I believe this is because the generator is not sensing utility feed.

Does anyone have a link to testing general utility load sensor?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:53 pm

Can you post some info about the unit? Serial and model are most helpful!
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Farm Turtle

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:08 pm

Here is name plate
A1DDC58C-790A-4744-8D71-1673A2234192.jpeg
A1DDC58C-790A-4744-8D71-1673A2234192.jpeg (189.83 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Alright thanks! This unit uses the N1 and N2 wires from the transfer switch to detect 240V at the generator via a small control transformer that converts the 240V down to 16VAC for the controller inside the generator. You'll have to make sure that 240V is making its way out to the generator. Use caution as voltages like that can injure or kill! There is a terminal strip under the controller cover where you can test for the voltage on N1 and N2.

Once you figure that out, you should be able to set the exercise.
jmaddux

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:17 am

I'm having this same problem. 240 was confirmed on N1 & N2 and to the transformer with us getting 18 volts coming out of the generator. Still cannot set exercise timer. Generator will run in manual mode and power the home through the transfer switch. Any advise?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:37 pm

jmaddux wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:17 am
I'm having this same problem. 240 was confirmed on N1 & N2 and to the transformer with us getting 18 volts coming out of the generator. Still cannot set exercise timer. Generator will run in manual mode and power the home through the transfer switch. Any advise?
If you can't set the exercise, it may just be a bad exercise switch. You can remove the switch and test it with a jumper across the 2 wires and wait the 20 seconds to see if it starts and sets.

If so, post your serial number and I can get you the correct replacement part.
jmaddux

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks for the information. The set exercise switch tested good. When testing the "Auto / Off / Man" switch the switch tested bad in the "Auto" position. When we jumped the switch the generator accepted the set exercise time and fired up. After replacing the switch we have had no problems. Thanks again for the advice.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:41 pm

No problem! If you don't mind me asking, where did you source the switch?