Adding fuel capacity

Portable standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions. (Gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas)
Bigl62

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 am

Would like to add a boat gas tank to extend running time. Does the tank need to be elevated??
Can the tank be tied into existing fuel by drilling a hole through cover, if so where is the best place to tie into fuel line??
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:58 am

I think I would approach this a different way... Instead of trying to add to the existing tank with another fuel source, I'd cut a tee fitting into the fuel line to the carb and add a 2nd fuel shutoff to the secondary tank.

If you try and fill the existing tank from the new tank, it will overflow through the vent and cause issues. If you install the tee and shutoff, that would allow you to remove the secondary tank if needed and also would just add to the fuel availability at the carb instead of trying to re-fill the other existing tank (if that makes sense...)

I suppose if the other tank is much higher than the existing tank, it could fill from the bottom anyways, but would be less likely I'd think...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power