Lower battery light on Generac Elite Generator 25KW

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Case31

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Hey Chris

I bought a house that already had the generator installed.

Generac Generator Elite 25KW
Serial number is 4271497
Model # 005212-0
Fuel natural gas the pipe size is 1inch and about 30 yards to the main

The generator ran fine for the first 6 months then the low battery light came on. I replaced the battery with a brand new one and the low battery light is still on. It tries to start but only for a split second then locks out.

I have a good back ground in the electrical field and I have about any tool to work on the generator other than a fuel pressure gauge or any other special gauges.

The problem has lasted for 3 weeks now (summer) and this has been the only problem with the generator. The owners before me had a dealer maintenance it regularly so it’s been well kept. I’m the type of person that loves to maintain my own stuff and learn from it.

Thanks

Hope this post was was better than my first one, you can delete the first one sorry
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:36 pm

What is the battery voltage at the battery? It sounds like maybe the charger has gone bad in it and the battery is dying.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Case31

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:16 pm

14 volts across the terminals and its tried starting at least a dozen times with the new battery I installed.( I’ve only installed one new battery )
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:57 am

What is the fault light that is lit when the unit locks out? Also, is it flashing or solid?
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Case31

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:42 pm

The over crank, over speed, low coolant-highcoolant, and low oil pressure would come on flashing. I hired a licensed tech they came out and trouble shot it and said it was my main board. What board do I need for my generator? Can I do it? Meaning if I turn off all voltage to the board and swap it out, there is nothing special I have to do to the board like hook a lap top up to it or anything?
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:34 pm

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to replace the control board, it sounds like the battery voltage sensing wire at the board is loosing continuity and the board dies for a split second, then reboots with all lights flashing, it is asking for the exercise to be reset.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:19 pm

Buckshot is right about the flashing lights, just telling you the board has lost power. Almost sounds like a loose connection at the alternator or maybe a loose fuse in the controller cabinet.