Generac 36KW 2.4L missing cam pulse

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
garthbossie

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:54 pm

Sorry I don't have all pertinent information in front of me but think I have enough that you can help,,,,, 36 KW 2.4L (4 cylinder) prox 2013/15 year model. Problem/error message is "missing cam pulse". I have read some post on this problem relating to 22KW gens stating resistance should be approx. 970 K ohms. I was thinking there was only 2 pins on plug but found 3,, I have checked resistance and found 730 K ohms across 2 of the 3 pins, open resistance other than those 2 which were the center and right side pin if you hold plug with orange pin lock underneath pins, left to right pins being 1, 2, 3, pin 3 is a clear insulation wire. I found this pin pushed back into plug half way due to not being properly locked which I fixed by removing orange lock and resetting and locking pin in place but still no go...

Thank you for any and all help/info...……….. Garth
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Are you measuring the resistance on the front mag pickup on the camshaft or the rear one on the flywheel?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
garthbossie

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:34 am

Fly wheel, where motor and gen are connected. I went back to post concerning 22kw and noticed it was talking about front of motor started thinking I maybe on wrong sensor,,, so there are 2 sensors,,? Do you have part number for the "front" sensor? I have part number for sensor on the fly wheel and while on that subject. What is the sensor on the flywheel, RPM?

Thank you Chris
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:53 am

The sensor on the flywheel is the RPM sensor and the sensor on the front camshaft cover of the 2.4L is the camshaft sensor. Both the same sensor on that unit. Here is the part I'm talking about: https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... uid-cooled

I have 1 in stock if you need it shipped today.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power