ATS won't transfer to generator but transfers back to utility

Automatic/Manual transfer switch repair, wiring & troubleshooting questions
dale@dmielectric.com

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:28 pm

25kw 004746 SN 4158657
ATS 0049451 SN 4161452

When the utility power goes off the generator starts just like it should, but doesn’t transfer over. When I manually transfer it to the generator it will run till the utility power comes back on and then transfer back to the utility run for about 2 minutes the shutdown.

Dale Haldeman
DMI Electric
dale@dmielectric.com
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:04 pm

Normally one of a few things:

Bad transfer relay, bad 23 wire somewhere, bad control board, or bad lower transfer switch coil. It will be up to you to determine which of those it is :cool:
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
dale@dmielectric.com

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:58 am

Thanks so much for the response.I have a relay, and several coils but I don't have any boards. Do you still have those control boards if that is the problem?
dale@dmielectric.com

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:01 am

Sorry the generator is a model 4746.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Yep, we still have them. See here: https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... roller-pcb

If you replace that control board, it's also recommended to replace the suppression assembly and the diode pack as well to prevent damage to a new board from a failed diode. The links for those are also on that product page for the controller PCB.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:22 am

It could also be as simple as one of the wires at the generator transfer coil, several times I have found they will work loose and be in a position that is easy to miss if you just look in the switch, check each wire by hand.
dale@dmielectric.com

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks so much.