Battery Not holding a Charge Generac Model G0070431 22KW

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:57 pm

The battery tender would be alright to use and would need to be connected at all times to a power source connected to the generator during outages. If not, the battery will die during the outage since the unit does not have an alternator to charge the battery like a car.

The charger missing AC alarm is almost always a wiring/blown fuse issue.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Lhren

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:36 pm

Great- I'll use the external charger as a stop-gap measure until I can get the unit serviced. Truly appreciate the speedy reply.

I discovered a more significant problem though... The upper coil (utility) appears to have "blown". I tested the generator in auto mode by flipping the ATS breaker, disconnecting the utility. The generator powered on and I heard the click of the coil, then a louder pop. Upon restoring the utility power, the generator did not shut down as expected, though I believe the utility power took over from the generator. Inspecting the ATS, it was very clear that the upper coil had blown (the black covering around the coil had blasted back, and there was some singe marks around the coil. Do you think it will be safe to operate the unit manually until I can get the coil replaced?

After shutting off all power, I manually flipped the switch to utility and then turned everything back on, with the generator in Auto-mode. The generator immediately assessed a lack of utility and turned on, and supplied power to the house, so I can't leave the generator in auto-mode. I'll have to wait for power failure and go turn on the generator manually. Any recommendations on how best to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:17 pm

Most times when the upper coils go it's from a brown-out. If there's no wiring damage, you can replace just the coil, however you may want to seek help for that since you're dealing with live 240V power at that point in the top of the switch, unless it's properly shut off and verified 'dead'.

I usually have a coil in stock.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power