Generac model 02010-2 no power output

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Elmer3E

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 am

I have an RV generac that first cold start most of the time is just fine. Put out my account voltage runs good. Then if you shut it off and restart it. It engine will run but no power out put. My LED dose come on with first crank. But dose not come on with the restart. (LED on the computer).
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:47 am

I mentioned in our private message that it may be a brush issue. You can measure the resistance of the brushes through the 0 and 4 wires on the voltage regulator.

Do you have the serial number for the generator?

I'm assuming that the 'computer' you're talking about is actually the voltage regulator, seen here? https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... ulator-avr
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
Elmer3E

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:06 pm

4225814 is the serial number.

Yes sir that is what Im calling computer.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:51 pm

Alrighty. Check the brush/slip ring resistance by measuring at those center 2 wires with them removed from the AVR. Wires will be 0 and 4. Post the results.
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
Elmer3E

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:11 pm

21.7 ohms not running and unplugged
2.374 milli ohms running and unplugged

But tonight it worked just fine............
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed May 01, 2019 7:53 am

If the resistance is good (which it seems like it is) it may mean that you either have an intermittent problem with high resistance, or that the field boost circuit is not always working. There is a kit available that will bypass the field boost circuit from the controller and keep constant field boost voltage on the rotor. I have installed many of them in units with failed or failing field boost outputs. See here: https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... -upfit-kit
Elmer3E

Sat May 04, 2019 6:43 pm

Now I seem to have an open in the 2 wires u had me check. Shows 18.4 engine off and as I crank it it goes 000. It has worked fine for few days and shut it off this morning and trying to get it back going. Any help would be greatly appreciated i know it's a weekend.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat May 04, 2019 7:40 pm

You won't get an accurate reading while cranking. 18 doesn't seem abnormally high. Could be an issue with the field boost circuit as I mentioned before. You should see DC voltage with all wires connected and cranking at the 4 wire. If you don't or it's very low, that would be the problem.

To test that theory, start the unit and if it's NOT producing voltage on its own, while it's still running, hit the 4 wire with 12V from the battery and see of the LED comes on and it starts making power.

If so, you need the kit I mentioned.
Elmer3E

Sat May 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Dose not light up LED
Elmer3E

Sat May 04, 2019 7:52 pm

I take that back. It dose. Thank you for ur help. I will be ordering that kit.