6500 W/no power?

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Craig E

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:14 am

Hi my name is Craig and I am having a problem with my Rv generator, its a Generac Item # 0047040 Series 4704-0 Serial # 4784860. Its a Guardian 6500 run on gas. The gen starts and runs fine although a little rough at times, but it is not putting out any power. There is no power at the input side of breakers, I replaced Voltage Reg. did not help? I replaced DPE breaker, did not help? The red lite on VR is not lit.
The gen. has about 120 hrs, was very well cared for maint. wise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have all tools nec. to work on gen, but electrical work is not my strong point.

Thanks, Craig
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:17 pm

I'd first start with a resistance measurement across the 4 and 0 wires (center 2 wires on the AVR) with them removed from the AVR.

Report back what you find!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
Craig E

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:59 am

If I understand you correctly, I pulled 2 wires in center of avr hooked one meter lead to one wire and other lead to other wire. The meas. I got was 7.70 is this helpful?
Thanks, Craig
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:54 am

We need to know the scale the meter was on. Was it 7.7 Ohms, kOhms, MOhms, etc?

If it's easy enough, snap a pic of the meter and screen while it's connected!
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
Craig E

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:02 pm

Just took another reading 5.6 Kohms K with Omega sign. Sorry told you I am new to elec problems, I could build you a house, but this stuff is all new to me.

Craig
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:49 pm

That is extremely high! I would start by disassembling to clean the slip rings and replace the brushes. You can take a resistance reading right at the slip rings and see what it is there. If it's still that high, you have a bad rotor or bad meter...
Craig E

Wed May 01, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks for the reply, I took a few readings yesterday at different times of day, the reading seemed to drop each time I took them, are they temp. sensitive? Last nite it read 2.5 Kohms if that is still out of range, think I will borrow another meter and re-check. Can the brushes be replaced without removing the generator from the RV?

Thanks Again, for your help, Craig
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed May 01, 2019 2:44 pm

I'm not positive on that. The brushes are normally on top of the belt driven units. You should be able see them. Can you take a pic of the unit and post it here?
Craig E

Wed May 01, 2019 6:50 pm

Checked my meter against 2 others, all the same readings. I can take a pic of unit, but not sure how to post it here. It does look like belt is on the bottom and I can see one side at top that looks like a brush could be in there, but cant see the other side. Looks like unit would need to be dropped out of RV to be able to work on top of unit. I am not physically able to drop the unit. Unless you have anything else I can check, mite have to turn it over to a local pro. The part thats difficult to understand is it worked perfectly one day, and didnt work at all the next day? The unit looks like new, but it is 12 yrs old so I guess anything is possible.
Thanks, Craig
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu May 02, 2019 6:05 pm

Well, we know you have a brush or rotor problem, so without being able to get to them, this may be the end of the road until someone can remove it from the RV.

Attaching a pic is pretty easy. Under the text box you'll see an Attachment tab, click that, hit Add Files, pick your images, then click 'place inline' which will add it to your reply.