Briggs and Stratton oil consumption

Briggs & Stratton generator troubleshooting
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:51 pm

I have a few Briggs and Stratton horizontals 15-20KW, last of the mechanically governed ones, that consume a great deal of oil. The two I serviced today, made it about 9-17 hours. One, the owner, topped it off as needed, and he's aware of the problem, the other, it faulted out at 9 hrs due to low oil pressure. Different cylinders with fouled plugs. Anything I should be looking for?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:27 pm

I know there’s some Briggs guys on here. This also shows that I need a Briggs section, haha! :ahh:
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:26 pm

I'm pleased we can discuss other brands here. Thank you for that.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Absolutely! This forum is here to help anyone who will use it! :cool:
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:12 am

One of the B&S that I service each year with the Vangard 900 c.c. is doing fine with oil but one exhaust valve is sinking into the head, I pulled the head because I wanted to inspect the valve itself before it did any damage - put it back together and it's still running. I think the machine has approximately 200 hours on it.
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:18 am

They all start and run fine. Just need to either clean or replace the plugs often and keep up with the oil consumption. Not sure how to pin point where the oil is getting in. Rings, valve stem seals? Not enough of an engine guy to know.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:06 am

I’d think if it were rings the engine would have poor compression, so that might be a place to start.
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:25 pm

nrp3, are you adjusting the valve lash on these engines? Just a thought 'cause they can become "oil pumpers" with valves that are not seating but the engine can still run pretty good.
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:55 pm

I did last year but due to the low hours on this and the other, not this year. I can do compression as well as leakdown tests next time around. Voltage is good, both carry the house load just fine. Frequency is good.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:01 pm

I've heard people switching back to a conventional oil that's a bit thicker having good luck slowing the oil burning process as well. I personally have not tried it...