3000 watt generator confused about wires

Portable standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions. (Gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas)
killster1

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:04 pm

So I purchases a 2x6 sqmm roll of wire. I dont know the gauge and I am told it's to thick and we need smaller wire. The run of wire will be 100 feet/15a (each plug says 15a on the generator) I thought thick wire would be more safe for longer distances. They say not enough power will go through it so long. The submurged water pump does struggle using the wire currently (2 strands I guess each is 6mm thick? But I dnt know If it's a amperage problem a watt problem or wire thickness..hope I get a reply other than hire a pro as I'm hundreds of miles from a city in a third world country.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:10 pm

Can you post some pictures of the nameplate on the pump and also the spool of wire? I'm not terribly familiar with the way other countries measure wire size. We use 'gauge' AWG here. 15A should be 14 AWG wire in most cases, but at 100' bigger IS better! Probably around 10 AWG would be needed for a 12A load (80% of the 15A outlet)
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
murphy

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:15 am

Bigger wire is ALWAYS better if you can find a safe way to make the mechanical connection. Bigger wire has a lower resistivity which means less loss through heating in the wire.