Generac 60kW

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Allforeign

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:54 am

Hi, I have a 60kWh liquid cooled with the Mitsubishi 2.4 turbo. I recently realized that it had not been auto cycling weekly. When I checked the codes I had multiple rpm sense loss codes, I tried to start manually but it would not fire. I pulled the rpm pick up and cleaned it, the unit started fine so I did replace it then with a New part. I can start fine manually, it cranks,about 5 revolutions and fires,but on auto start it will only crank 2-3 revolutions and shut down with the rpm sense loss code. The only other code I had was one low fuel pressure but it will start and run fine, and that was just one in the last 40 episode's. It is lpg by the way. Any advice would be appreciated.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:42 pm

It is probably still related to the Mag Pickup and it's relative position to the flywheel teeth. From what I gather, you replaced it with a new one? If so, how did you set it's depth? The low fuel is probably related to the fuel piping and how it's setup. Can you post a couple pictures of the install?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Allforeign

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Thanks for the reply, I do have a few pictures and a short video of the unit starting. I have them on my phone but I do not know how to post them to the site. Do you have an email or can I forward from my phone to you? I notice that if it sits a few days it is not starting like it used to, it is struggling to fire but once running it is fine and I can shut it down and restart it with no obvious issues. It also only tries to start one time on the auto start mode, and then stops and stores the "rpm sense loss " message. we have three 500 pound LPG tanks that supply this unit and a furnace. it has been in use for about 4 years with no previous problems. any help is appreciated. Thank you , Glenn.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi Glenn!

The easiest way to post pictures is to click on the 'Attachments' tab under the text box, click 'Add Files' and upload them from there. There's an option that says 'Add Inline' once the file is uploaded and it will place the picture right into your post for you.

As far as the video goes, YouTube is about the easiest way to upload them. Just upload to YouTube and then paste the link to the video here. The forum software will take care of the rest and add the video here.

If you have any trouble with either of those, you can also e-mail them to me [info at gentekpower.com]

Please be aware than normally the minimum tank size for a generator like this would be around 500 gallons. A 60kW needs quite a bit of fuel and low tanks will cause fuel issues. Also will want to check the fuel pressure coming into the generator to make sure it's between 11-14" W.C.
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Allforeign

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Awesome,We are closing up now so I will get these loaded up tomorrow. And yes I agree on the tank size that's why we have three of them,we have them filled every Friday also so they rarely would be under about 70 percent. We use a lot of propane here as all of our forklifts are LPG also,so we have an exchange station here on site. I added this unit myself about 4 years ago to replace a 15 k and a 25 k
( briggs units) that we would use for our office building during power outages, but they could no longer handle the load. we are a used auto parts facility in Pittsburgh by the way. Thanks again for the input,I did a brief search for someone local to service it but came up empty, we do all our own maintenance here but I am having a difficult time diagnosing this one. Also do you know if it is possible to have the nexus control panel relocated to inside our facilty? It would be very nice for us and it is located right outside our electrical room, so my thoughts were to maybe get it into that room. Thanks Glenn.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:09 pm

I can supply parts, but since you're not in Michigan service would be a problem haha!

As far as moving the controller inside, that's going to be a no. The Nexus harness has a ton of wiring that would have to be extended and I'm guessing some of those circuits wouldn't appreaciate the added length.

There is a post on here about the GenMon project which may interest you though. viewtopic.php?t=111

The propane fill doesn't sound like the problem, but it could be fuel related. You need a manometer and to measure the fuel with the unit off, cranking, and running to see what it's doing. I ALWAYS recommend an analog dial type gauge because many digital gauges won't catch fuel issues that happen quickly with generators.
Allforeign

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks again for your response, the propane supplier is bringing a tech down to determine what steps we can take. I will let you know the outcome. It is refreshing to have a service company not only respond, but to bring some knowledge of their product as well. I find all to often that we cant even get a response back from so many service companies, be it for maintenance our buying equipment.That is why we do most of our own work here. So again, thank you.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Not a problem at all! As I mentioned on the phone, if you ever need parts or more help, you know where to come!

Be sure to post whether or not it fixed it. I'll post the pics you sent me here so that others can see if that's ok?