16kw Guardian Overspeed Solid red light

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
djg422

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Hello,
Thanks in advance for any advice, I am curious if this i ssomething I could figure out myself, I have a 16kw generac, 3 years old. It says a solid red light and it says there is an overspeed error. Does anyone know what typically is at fault with this error? Im hoping I can manage to fix this myself.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Can you post the model number and serial number? Normally units with just the LEDs and no screen are much older than 3 years. Even a picture of the controller would be helpful!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:28 am

Welcome to the forum, the solid red means it's locked out on a fault, in your case "overspeed". The first thing to test is the action/condition of the throttle linkage and stepper motor that controls the throttle position. Turn the control to OFF and press enter twice to delete the fault, now turn the control back to "Auto" and see if the light is green indicating the machine is ready to run. If that is true then press OFF and then try a manual start and report back with the results.