Any rumours about a exercise update.

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Hodgy

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 pm

I know this is flogging a dead horse but . . . . . . .

Are there any rumours about Generac coming up with a firmware update allowing for a programmed exercise time ?

Honeywell 17 KW model 62820 serial 9142***
. 200 Amp service rated ATS model OH 4557B serial 9106***
. SYNC 2.0 Controller
. firmware V1.11
. hardware V1.05
· Natural Gas with upgraded AC 630 meter
· Gas pipe 70' underground
· 1 1/4" pipe
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Haha, I honestly haven't heard a word, but it would not surprise me to see them stick with what they have already setup for the times. In all honesty, unless they were to run loaded for a period of time like some of the Kohler's can do, even extending it out to the normal 12 minutes didn't seem to help. It also seems more of a problem with newer units (2010 and up). I rarely see an older unit with moisture in the crankcase. Maybe that's just me getting lucky, but I've changed A LOT of oil :tongue:
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
UPS

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:23 pm

There has to be something more behind that time change - more than Generac has said. It is very unlikely they would have shortened it only because the engineers suddenly determined they had been wrong all along. It could be anything - exec or major stockholder with a green agenda, one of the companies that sells Generacs under another label (Eaton, Honeywell, etc.) insisting on it, or maybe EPA pressure that if changes weren't made voluntarily - they would propose legislation. Only guesses...

The Genmon D-I-Y project (https://github.com/jgyates/genmon) code could probably have an option added to extend the run length, since it already has the manual start and transfer options, and reports the exercise start and stop times. It could probably have the capability added for to extend the run time when an exercise period was about to end - or even do a scheduled start and transfer on occasion.
Birken Vogt

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:14 am

The Major Competitor has much longer run cycles by default so I doubt it is an EPA issue.
murphy

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:39 am

I run my 20 kW Kohler for 20 minutes set to "loaded full speed" every week. I want to be sure that the alternator also works, not just the engine. I can configure it from my cell phone.

The reasons my second generator is not a Generac.

1. No valve adjustments due to hydraulic lifters.
2. Hard wired to my LAN.
3. Exercise mode controlled by my phone. Can be set for up to 30 minutes in 1 minute increments.
4. I can download and install software updates using my computer and a USB cable. The phone app tells me when an update is available.
5. Phase loading mismatch is not required to be 50% or less.
6. Built in load shedding for up to 2 air conditioners plus control for up to 4 other devices using external contactors. I have one connected to my oven.
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:13 am

I need to get up to speed on On Cue. On the other hand, I've repaired enough Kohler stuff lately to say I'm not sure its any better than Generac. I am looking forward to their new metal housings. No valve adjustments is nice, but I can about do them in my sleep. I like the Evo series controller better.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:57 am

I wish it wasn't such a pain to be a Kohler dealer. It seems that you can't 'really' be a dealer for them and you have to buy your gear from the local distributor, which from what I hear around here, is a huge pain to deal with...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm

And now they want a $20k minimum sales to remain a service dealer. I’m happy to be a dealer of theirs as well as Briggs and Stratton too, but it’s going to be tough to maintain that level of sales. I’d prefer to buy parts directly like Generac and Briggs too. I really only do a handful of installs a year when it makes sense and spend more time on service for other installers.
UPS

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Most equipment manufacturers tend to keep sales and service authorizations separate. There is little logic to requiring a servicer to also sell. On the other, requiring a sales dealer to either do service themselves, or set up an arrangement with another servicer does make sense.

Generac is pointlessly excluding potentially good servicers this way.

One owner complaint often seen here and on other forums comes from those in rural areas. They can't find an authorized Generac servicer willing to travel far enough to their home or business, and instead must pay an independent servicer to do the job. And then it becomes sheer luck if they get a good one. Some of them may be very good, but can't afford to add a sales operation. And not only can they not be service-only authorized, but Generac won't let then take Generac training either. This really hurts the customers.

Generac is not hurting for sales - but this policy has to have some negative effect on their overall sales as well - since many potential buyers may be perfectly willing to buy a unit from a distant retailer, but still want to be sure there is local service.
Birken Vogt

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:17 pm

Of course the main problem with all brands is that they insist on allowing online/big box sales for cheaper than their dealers can buy it. Which leads to erosion of the dealer network and lots of shoddy installs that make their product look bad in the future when problems crop up.