Upgrade Firmware to stop under voltage alarm

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Althor56

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 pm

Hi,
Here is my info:
Model - 58731
Serial - 7388175
Fuel - LP
Distance to fuel - 20ft
Controller - 0H6680D
Software Ver - 1.43
Hardware Ver - 1.02

Issue: Under voltage during exercise cycle

I have been reading the forum and see that one of the fixes is to upgrade the firmware, how does one go about doing that?

My issue is during cold weather -5C or below, the cycle starts and stops after about 15 sec, then tries to restart and fails after 15 sec. If I go to manual start it will stay running after 2 or 3 tries. I suspect it is frost on the slip rings. I thought about putting heat in the cabinet but did not try due to propane as the fuel reacting the the heating device.

Any ideas or guidance is appreciated
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Unfortunately with that controller (Nexus) the firmware is not upgradeable. There is a kit available to correct the frost issues, however it requires replacement of the controller you currently have (needs version 1.45 or higher) and also comes with a relay kit to add field boost voltage to the rotor until the slip ring connection becomes usable. The kit is about $600 last I looked, but if it's something you are interested in, let me know and I'll get some pricing to you.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Althor56

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks, is it possible for someone with a moderate skill set to install. Where I live the only people I can get to come out charge $140 per hour and $200 travel time.
Althor56

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Also please send me the pricing and cost to ship to Canada. My postal code is P0M 2N0
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:16 pm

The install isn't too bad at all. The controller is just plug and play, however the kit does come with an instruction page (most don't) so that will be helpful. Unfortunately this would be a drop ship direct from Generac, and shipping parts to Canada that way can be a huge pain, and shipping I think is quite high... Let me reach out to some Canadian friends of mine who are dealers and see if they'll chime in!
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
TrueNorthElectrical

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:46 pm

Give me a shout at generators@truenorthelectrical.ca I’m a dealer in southern Ontario and I can get you info on the pricing.

Stew
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:56 pm

TrueNorthElectrical wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:46 pm
Give me a shout at generators@truenorthelectrical.ca I’m a dealer in southern Ontario and I can get you info on the pricing.

Stew
Glad you can help Stew!
Althor56

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:12 am

Thanks Chris and Stew, I have sent an email to Stew