How to reset Generac Generator?

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
BobbyW

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm needing Generac generator troubleshooting help. How do I reset the generator to see if it will start? There is a red light and also the display says Undervoltage. It's a 17kW with the Nexus control panel. This happened during the cold weather but I'm not exactly sure when. Noticed it when it hadn't exercised. Is this just something from the cold, or is there something else I should be looking for with it? Thank you!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:40 pm

Resetting the generator is easy, but the fault could be a few things. To reset the alarm, put the generator into the 'Off' mode and hit the enter key twice. This will clear the alarm and leave the generator sitting in the off mode.

The Undervoltage alarm could just be frost buildup on the slip rings which will be gone once the temp comes up a bit or you run the unit long enough to clear it off, or it could be something else. A good quality digital meter to read generator output voltage will be helpful. I wouldn't put the unit back into Auto mode until you've seen if it will run normally and produce normal voltage in Manual mode. If it won't, there may be more troubleshooting needed to figure out what's going on.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
BobbyW

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:31 am

I reset the controller using the enter twice method you mentioned and it did clear the fault. I have a basic digital meter here and was able to measure the output voltage with the generator running in manual mode and it seems normal to me at 243V from line to line. Maybe this just was the cold causing issues like you had said? I will just keep an eye on it and watch for more problems!

Thank you!
KevinSalyer

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:07 am

If you have no idea or any experience about how to reset or test generator, you are not recommended to do it as you do not have the skill to do it by yourself. Handling the governor is not easy and you might have problem with it. Or anything bad would happen.
WSB

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:57 am

My Generac 16 kw shows an error code of RPM loss. I understand this could just be the battery. It’s been extremely cold so I understand the battery being stressed. Now that it’s warmed a bit, can I reset the code and see if it’ll start in automatic?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:03 am

WSB wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:57 am
My Generac 16 kw shows an error code of RPM loss. I understand this could just be the battery. It’s been extremely cold so I understand the battery being stressed. Now that it’s warmed a bit, can I reset the code and see if it’ll start in automatic?
I would give it a shot. RPM loss can be one of any of a few things, but it is normally a weak or dead battery in most cases. How old is the unit and battery?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein