Generac 20kw model 58750 blowing t1 fuse battery not charging

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
k4192788

I did a continuity test in all the sensors wite looking for a short but they all good even with the battery discharge if I put the Buss 5A fuse as soon it touch the contact got blown.

Any idea that what could be?

Thanks in advance
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

You'll need to find out if it's the wiring or the controller that is the problem. The T1 wire basically goes direct from the transfer switch to the battery charger built into the controller. I would disconnect the 2-wire quick connect located under the controller and try to install the fuse again and see if it blows (the 2 wire quick connect will have a white cloth jacket with a single set of white and blue wires). If not, that pretty much tells you that you have a bad controller... :cry: If you post the serial number I can track down which Nexus controller this unit needs.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
k4192788

Ser: 6078188 I just bought it like 2 year ago I just really hope is not the controller
k4192788

One detail that I forgot to mention I charge the batterry and put it back in the gen and the transfer lights light up and the fuse didn't blew out until the charge ran out again.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

That generator is MUCH older than 2 years old... It was purchased and started up 10/9/2010, so it's about 9.5 years old now...

If the battery is dying and then when the charger kicks on it blows, I'd say you have a shorted charger somewhere in the controller and it's toast. Unfortunately, because that unit is so old, the controller (0H6680A) was replaced by a kit which uses the 0H6680D controller and is pretty expensive to replace :cry: The kit can be seen here: https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... cement-kit
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
k4192788

i just replace it like almost 2 years ago.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I misunderstood, you mean the controller is only 2 years old? If so, you should already have the conversion kit installed then, right?
MacL
Contributor
Contributor

You may have some yellow wires for accessories near the oil filter and near the battery which could be shorted or if you have any accessories such as an oil filter warmer or battery warmer they could be shorted this all is on the t1 circuit.

Remove the yellow wires from the terminal block (N1 and N2) if they are not being used. Also water in a conduit can cause fuses to blow if the insulation was nicked when pulling the wire.
You don’t know what you don’t know.
k4192788

yes Chris I already have the conversion kit
k4192788

Thanks, MacL I will check on that.