DC2 exercise

Kohler Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:20 pm

So I did get a chance to speak with Kohler support and they said there was only two choices there, unloaded cycle or full speed loaded exercise. They also said changing a DC2 to RDC2 in the field was kosher, though it wouldn't be covered under warranty naturally.
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:24 pm

And thank you Chris for asking around as well as opening this forum up to other brands. I work on Winco too, though I'm not a dealer though I sub out through one that is. Ever seen an Antec? Mostly Generac belt driven guts.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:25 pm

I suppose that contradicts the owner's manual, so that's why it's confusing... Help me understand, does the unloaded cycle mean that the engine changes RPM throughout the exercise duration?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 pm

nrp3 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:24 pm
And thank you Chris for asking around as well as opening this forum up to other brands. I work on Winco too, though I'm not a dealer though I sub out through one that is. Ever seen an Antec? Mostly Generac belt driven guts.
I haven't ever heard of them, but interesting to know that it's belt drive stuff from way back when. I would be interested to see some pictures of the stuff that you work on though! My goal for this site is for us all to learn from each other. My experience is almost all with Generac minus the few Briggs and Stratton units I've worked on over the years. I really enjoy seeing what everyone else is working on and how they do things differently.
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:01 pm

Send me a PM with an email and I'll send a pic of that Antec. I don't think much , if anything will show on a google search. Horrible install these folks inherited from the previous homeowner who did it himself. The transfer switch is worse. I was there recently to swap out a control board for it. Actually runs quite well for its age. I have an elliot power systems liquid cooled unit to service this weekend with a fiat motor in it. Finding parts for that was fun.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:03 pm

Haha yea I bet!! Even the old Generac Fiats are basically non-existent now... Are you able to post them here, or would you rather not? I started that 'Vintage Generator' section just for these lol!
If not, email is great too!
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:10 pm

So I went back up and swapped in an RDC2 , programmed it and set the exercise out a few minutes to see what happened. Unloaded full speed exercise and all was well. Set it out a few hours so they could hear it run and on to the next task.

The Fiat thing I can't get to till he gets back from Florida. I could service it, but I need access to the house to watch the transfer switch operate. Kind of an oddball setup. I'll send some photos of that one too. No longer made. Big thing I noticed last time is the voltage seemed a little low, but it's one of those capacitive regulated units and sometimes the voltage comes up under load. Sourcing those will be fun if I have to.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:36 pm

Yea, sometimes the old Generac stuff just isn't worth the money they'll spend on parts in the long run. I've only worked on one REALLY old Generac powered by a 1.2L Nissan. Had a belt driven mechanical governor... The guy wanted to put money into a new head gasket and rebuild...
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Parts availability is a stretch with this one. My mechanical abilities are ok but I think I’d suggest something new for warranty purposes and parts availability. At least something that’s a mainstream brand.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:58 pm

Yea, being down for weeks waiting for special order parts is a huge hassle for most customers. If it's not reliable, what's the point haha!