Generator stopping in auto when breaker is turned on

Kohler Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Dbdeagan

Model: 12res
Serial: 2107784
NG

Power is out and the generator will crank for a second when in auto and then stop. Does not give a code. Will start when in manual. Also will start in auto with the breaker off. Any idea on what this could be? Opened up the transfer switch to check connections and everything seems to be good on that end. I haven’t torn into the generator side yet, the customer is 95 and needs the furnace going so I left it in manual. I plan on just going back and troubleshooting when utility is back. Battery is good it was replaced last year. The generator has close to 400 hours and we service it regularly
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

If it starts and runs in auto with the breaker off, what happens when you turn the breaker back on, it just dies?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Dbdeagan

Yes. It’ll run and then the second I flip the breaker it dies
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Normally I would guess overloaded or a short somewhere in the wiring, but it sounds like it will run in manual and produce power?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Dbdeagan

Yes. Runs just fine when set to manual and runs the house fine
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

This an older horizontal, not the vertical? RDT switch?
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

What I’m getting at is, if two wire switching, maybe the transfer switch is incorrectly opening the two wire start contact.