Flashing over speed red LED

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
g&bporcelain
Contributor
Contributor

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:33 am

blue,. probably valve guide seals, since it only does it at initial start up
g&bporcelain
Contributor
Contributor

Tue May 21, 2019 12:52 pm

generator is running good and has been running its cycle every week forseveral weeks on tuesday eve 630pm. ive been there at the start time 3or4 times to observe it seems ok, with no error messages. my wife told me around 1130 am today it was running . checked it and it was, there was no power outage that i was aware of. pulled the auto transfer switch cover heard an audible click think it was solenoid test. after a few minutes the generator shut off. system ready green light was on as usual. any guess why it came on at wrong time. i didnt notice any interuption in power so i assumed the utility power didnt go off. thanks for your input!
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Tue May 21, 2019 7:40 pm

Utility power may have dropped to a 'brownout' level and the generator responded.
g&bporcelain
Contributor
Contributor

Wed May 22, 2019 11:19 am

could that happen without an actual outage for flicker in lights etc...
i didnt have to reset any clocks or anything
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed May 22, 2019 11:24 am

The thing with these style generators is that the transfer switches don't 'test'. You will only see a transfer switch move if the generator tells it to when the power is out, or a brownout like Buckshot mentioned. If you heard the switch move, that would indicate that the generator really thought you had no power. Keep in mind that it could have been from a loose connection in the sensing circuit, a fuse going bad, etc...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
g&bporcelain
Contributor
Contributor

Wed May 22, 2019 2:26 pm

ok thanks ill assume it was a brownout since it has only been installed for a few months. it did run at the preset time yesterday evening
g&bporcelain
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:28 pm

generator has been operating fine. has come on 3or 4 uses and everything worked great. came on a few days ago ,ran 20 minutes or so i noticed lights dimming in my house went to check and generator was dying down as if it was running out of fuel. manually started would not stay running kept dying after a second or2. i turned breaker of at unit and started without a load, it started and ran at less than have speed and would die when i flipped on breaker each time. tank has 60% or more fuel regulator is good. the onboard fuel regulator is new and was working great and the magnetic solenoid on it is working. i smell fuel when i start it. i just dont know if its getting enough. could the governor
be bad? any help would be gr appreciated
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:42 am

You need a manometer to measure the incoming fuel pressure to the unit. It could actually be getting too much fuel from a bad propane regulator as well.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power