Generac 00607-2 Red Light Issue. Won't Stay On. Makes loud popping noise then stops after minute

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
vestaviascott

I have an older Generac 15KW generator. It has been working until now. We have power outage today and it did not start up as expected. I checked it out and it was low on coolant and oil. I topped both up and here's what it does.

Upon moving switch from Auto down to Start, it starts up and runs for about a minute then shuts down. While its running, about every 15 seconds or so, it makes a single loud popping noise/sound from the generator coil area, when it does this, the meters jump. Otherwise the meters are showing no output voltage or amps.

Generac service tech I called said it sounds like a bad voltage regulator or worse case the generator is dead from age.

Can someone tell me how to check the voltage regulator for fault? I have a Fluke DMM.

Last edited by vestaviascott on Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like an old Fiat 1.6L unit, but not positive on that...

I think you're experiencing 2 problems all related to 1 issue. The unit isn't making voltage on it's own and then after the 16 second crank timer runs out the starter is trying to re-engage but it's already running (the controller doesn't know that though). At the same time the crank relay is energized, so is the field boost relay which is energizing the field again making the panel meters register for a second.

I'd start by measuring resistance on the 0 and 4 wires with them disconnected from the voltage regulator. See what you have and let's go from there....

Edit: I originally said 1.2L Nissan, but I think that's the 1.6L Fiat. The Nissan had a belt driven governor and your engine has a stepper motor and governor controller board.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
vestaviascott

Thanks very much for the help. I have not been able to find a manual for this model so I don't know where to locate the voltage regulator. Can you help with that? Or if anyone happens to have a link to an online manual, or can email a copy to me, please advise.

Thanks again. We are going to be down for a while. I'm in Bham, Alabama and we have extensive tornado/storm weather today. There is a large tree over a line in our neighborhood. In the dark.
vestaviascott

Update. I'm back online. When I just went out to check the generator to see if I could spot the location of the voltage regulator, I decided to try to switch it on again to get a snapshot picture of the exact meter readings. This time, I switched it off then back to Auto (rather than switching it to off then Start then back to Auto). Once I did that, it ran for about 15 seconds as expected before the spark sound, but this time, I got voltage shortly after the spark sound and the lights in the house came on!

I'm not sure why it worked as expected. Perhaps it was the switch sequence I used? Perhaps the oil I added had to settle a bit to coat the sensor?

BTW, I'm still hunting for a user's/service manual for this gen if anyone knows where I can find one. Gen 00607-2
vestaviascott

Here's a snapshot of the meters now that she's making power again. No issues in the house, we have solid power everywhere, but Amps reading supposed to be that low?

cornwallav8r

Sounds like the unit flashed the field when it engaged the starter again (it's designed to do this) which was enough to flash the generator winding and get it going. I'd suspect the field boost circuit if you haven't already determined it.