27KW Genset has slight flicker with incandescent lamps

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Genitup

okay so loaded it at 70A and the voltage and frequency stayed stable.
and what is interesting is once I put the heavy load on it, the Flickr problem went away..
then took the 70 amp load off and put it back to 10 A and the Flickr was still gone.
stopped then started the generator with 10 amp load and the Flickr was there..
what do you make of that?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Makes me think that the stability adjustment on the AVR is still not quite correct. The problem with modern electronic lighting, electronics in general, and other 'noisy' power sources, is that they introduce electrical noise into the generator and can cause some strange issues. The small load combined with the type of load can cause these issues. When you apply a resistive load like a heater, oven, stovetop, etc, the resistive load balances the noise out a bit and will smooth things out.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Genitup

I agree with your logic on this, (of the 10A, there are 4 desktop computers which have notoriously noisy PSU's)
are you talking the U/F or the Gain pot?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Crap, sorry! Thinking of the Stability adjustment on the 067680 AVR. This AVR doesn't have that adjustment.
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Genitup

is there any way to purchase the latest version of this regulator you are selling and see if it fixes the problem and return it if not?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sorry but I don't offer anything like that. That is actually the exact reason I don't offer returns on electronic parts that have been opened. If there's something else wrong (not in your case most likely) it could damage the new part and I can't sell someone else a used part.

It's possible the new reg could smooth out the voltage, but I can't guarentee that by any means if it's noise from the connected loads causing the issues.
Genitup

I totaly get it, I would do the same if I was you..
Its not a big problem and since we think we know what it is I will live with it.
Thanks for all the great help and will come back to you when I have the next issue!
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not a problem! You may find that adding some resistive load to the gen when it's running would help. If you can find a cheap 240V heater and wire it in to the system, that may counteract the voltage issues. These regulators don't like harmonic distortion!
Genitup

I wish I had a scope to see what the wave form looks like..
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Generators are never very pretty on a scope :ahh: