22kW 2.4L Mitsubishi Govenor Fault Alarm

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:51 pm

With 259 hours on the plugs, might not be a bad idea to pull one and just check to see what it looks like also. They're just a copper plug and can get kinda funky on the end of the grounding electrodes. Birken is right though, if there's any issue at all with the governor, it will give you trouble...
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Birken Vogt
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:14 pm

Highly unlikely that the fault is related to water heater use, since the gas systems are almost completely separate, and the gas pipe to the generator is enormous.

Unless there is a restriction in the high pressure tee, or the tank valve was not fully open, or something like that.

It is possible that the tank was already very chilled from long generator run time, and pressure was very low, and the extra demand was just too much, maybe.

What is your climate, how full is the tank, what was the temperature, how long had the generator been running that day?
geoffleach

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:58 am

What is your climate, how full is the tank, what was the temperature, how long had the generator been running that day?
We're at 2400 feet in the California Sierra Nevada foothills. The generator is run daily at 8pm for an hour. The problem happens at startup, and does not re-occur once the error condition has been cleared. Tank is 20% full. Temperature is 32 degrees. Weather was wet the fault happened ...

Last night, a new fault: "RPM sense loss". Weather clear, temp 32, tank 20%, no re-occur. No appliances in use.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:36 pm

geoffleach wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:58 am
We're at 2400 feet in the California Sierra Nevada foothills. The generator is run daily at 8pm for an hour. The problem happens at startup, and does not re-occur once the error condition has been cleared. Tank is 20% full. Temperature is 32 degrees. Weather was wet the fault happened ...

Last night, a new fault: "RPM sense loss". Weather clear, temp 32, tank 20%, no re-occur. No appliances in use.
That RPM Sense Loss fault is headed down the same road I was thinking with the fuel... You really need to be present for a few starts when the unit is cold. I would almost be willing to bet that the unit is stumbling when it tries to start. The problem with that is the controller will see the change in RPM like the unit was running, but when it stalls or stumbles the controller views that as a stall and throws the RPM Sense Loss code. Stick around for a few starts when the unit is cold and has been sitting and see what happens exactly when the unit runs. Maybe take a video of it if possible.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Birken Vogt
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:44 pm

We might be close. What town? PM if interested in our services. I am happy to help on here also. I would suggest filling the tank. 250 gallon tank at 20% on that size machine is very marginal.