22kw wiring questions

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Lboogie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Just order my maintenance stuff for this unit.

I’ve been running it for a little bit now and notice a fair amount of natural gas smell. I checked each exhaust bolt and 1 and 4 are around 400 degrees and 2 and 3 are around 260. I do have new plugs on order and air filter and oil change. I have not changed anything since I got the generator
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Certainly sounds like you may have a couple mis-firing cylinders!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Lboogie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Changed plugs and still smell some natural gas. Not sure if I’m just smelling things because unit seems to be running smooth and I would guess if it’s mid firing I would hear that. Will dive into that issue later on.

I did check the charging system and noticed it wasn’t charging and had a blown fuse by the alternator. Which was a 30amp that was in it. I replaced it with a 30amp and as soon as I put it in the alternator started to smoke and eventually blew the fuse. I did end up starting it up and running it then putting a new fuse in it and it did not blow but also was not charging the battery. I think I might’ve fried the alternator. Is there a replacement other than the generac one or I gotta shell out 325 bucks for the generac one. Regardless I gotta replace it.
Thanks for the help
Lboogie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

So I checked ohms on the coils
1-2 .3
3-4 1.3
I was curious if anyone upgraded could before to some coil packs that are all in one. Just would have to get the wiring to each cylinder but that’s not hard.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

The smoke and blown fuse sound more like a short somewhere or something? I've never seen or heard of that before!
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Lboogie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

So I found out why I smell gas. Cylinder 3 has no spark. I switch the 2 pin plug on the #2 and #3 coils and proceed to get spark. So I believe I have a issue with cylinder #3 only. An it’s on the harness side. Will have to trace wires to make sure none are broken or pinched. Y’all ever seen it just kill a single cylinder before?
Lboogie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Wires are good. No breaks as I checked continuity and it all seems fine.
Do y’all think the ignition module is going out?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

It certainly could be! If you have spark on all the other coils that doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's not a super cheap part... https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... roller-pcb
Lboogie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

So I ended up calling the local company and they had the ignition module in stock and it was the same price. Just wanted it the same day, very impatient.
I pulled the old one off and as soon as I took the bolts off I saw black and smelled like burnt electric.
So apparently something fried this thing. I put the new on and purs like a kitten. No gas smell or anything.
Attachments
7186F7C6-E9F8-4D90-80AE-3A8015E7F37E.jpeg
7186F7C6-E9F8-4D90-80AE-3A8015E7F37E.jpeg (216.77 KiB) Viewed 11 times
9DDC8543-02BC-4573-A45C-6939499B19BF.jpeg
9DDC8543-02BC-4573-A45C-6939499B19BF.jpeg (152.96 KiB) Viewed 11 times