36kw unit power fluctuations under heavy load

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
richard

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:11 am

No, nothing had been done to the unit that would have created the issue - just appeared. The only thing that remotely may have changed something we had some work done on drainage and they did put in some pipes in the vicinity of the gas line. About that time is when we noticed something amiss. However, I have adjusted the regulator and I'm sure the gas pressure is correct. Other than we have been getting a lot of rain, even a lot for Houston, and been plagued with very high humidity. Nothing else really. I changed the plugs thinking that may have been the issue but didn't help. So, I still think it appears to be fuel related, I'm thinking either throttle body / VR or something to do with the various bits of diaphragms etc feeding gas up to the mixer may have failed. I don't think it is the turbo, not too many hours and the oil has been kept fresh since new. I'm drawing at straws
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:40 am

Have you checked for any vacuum leaks at the various hoses? Make sure nothing is cracked, a vacuum plug hasn't rotted off, that kinda thing.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
richard

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:02 am

yes, checked them, all hoses look fine and the plug in the top of the engine is on and looks fine as well.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:55 pm

Are you able to video the unit running and upload it to YouTube? If you post the link here it will auto-embed the video right into your post. You can make the video private if you want on YT so that it's not searchable.

A video might help us better understand what's going on here... I'm running out of ideas without seeing the unit :thinking:
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
richard

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Chris,

See attached link to the video, I'm not too good at this new age technology but hopefully it shows what is going on. On a note, I pulled the plugs, they look fine, all look the same so they must be firing ok. When started today, seems to run fine at the exercise and when I shut off the utility line, runs fine until the a/c units start coming on. It'll run a 3.5 ton unit ok, but when one of the other units kick in it starts to stumble. I shut down the 4 ton unit and let the 1.5 ton unit come on while the 3.5 ton unit was on and it started to stumble - what you'll see in the video is just the 3.5 ton and 1.5 ton unit on. I'm afraid to run the 4 ton with the others as the surging gets pretty extreme and I'm afraid something will be burned out. One thing of note that may be of interest, once the generator got hot, and put the load on, there is what sounds almost like a knocking noise, seems to be coming from the generator head unit. Not sure if that was because of all the surging or if there is something in the generator/alt. portion that could be the culprit.

Thanks,

Richard

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:45 am

I can certainly see you have problems!

Do you have a timing light? I'm thinking it might be a good idea to see if you have spark on each wire during this!
richard

Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Will try in a few days, need to borrow a timing light - my kids apparently got away with mine at some point.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:11 am

Hopefully this will shed some 'light' onto the problem :ahh: :tongue: