Generac 15KW w/ Fiat 1.6L engine 1800RPM liquid cooled starts but then immediately stops

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
mikroland
Contributor
Contributor

Chris wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:45 am
Hah, found it! I just added it to the site.

https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... -1-6l-fiat

It's specific to the 1.6L Fiat too...
Amazing, and it has the dual prongs? I can't clearly tell in the photo?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

I also can't tell from the photo, but it comes up as a temp switch for the 1.6L Fiat and looks identical.

Yours has 2 prongs, or just one with a jumper spade connected to the other wire?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
mikroland
Contributor
Contributor

Chris wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:14 am
I also can't tell from the photo, but it comes up as a temp switch for the 1.6L Fiat and looks identical.

Yours has 2 prongs, or just one with a jumper spade connected to the other wire?
Now that you say that, you may be right. It may just be a dual spade connector. I will confirm when I get home and if it's single bladed I'm ordering this baby. I will also order the temp sender gauge sensor.

I have already ordered the WLS from Ebay on an open box deal.

Thanks!
mikroland
Contributor
Contributor

Chris wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:14 am

Chis, I did confirm it. The sensor has one blade with a dual spade connector. I am ordering this sensor and the gauge sensor from you now. May as well just change them all out!
mikroland
Contributor
Contributor

***Update***

I put another new DC control board, new water temp switch, new water level sender, and new wire harness between DC control board and terminal strip.

Genset ran on auto for the first day that I did this.

Then the next day I came out to test it again and it ran and then made a metal to metal banging noise after about 1 minute of run time then killed with RPM sensor loss. I tried it again and same thing and this time with high temp coolant error.

The metal to metal noise I have determined is the starter trying to crank the unit while it's running.

I have no idea why this is happening. The unit is running @ 60HZ and producing 237 volts AC across both leads.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

The unit is not sensing that it's running. The 076009 controllers use a run signal from the stator to determine if the unit is running or not. Maybe that voltage isn't making it there? I didn't go back through all 7 pages, so if this unit doesn't use that controller I apologize :ahh:
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
mikroland
Contributor
Contributor

Chris wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:03 am
The unit is not sensing that it's running. The 076009 controllers use a run signal from the stator to determine if the unit is running or not. Maybe that voltage isn't making it there? I didn't go back through all 7 pages, so if this unit doesn't use that controller I apologize :ahh:
This unit uses a 083089 DC Control board.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Crap, that's right, this is a C Panel unit! Sorry, my head is in a million places at once today.

I don't remember how the C Panel controllers got their run signal, if it was 2 fold with a voltage AND the RPM sensor, or just the RPM sensor. Everything you describe is exactly how an older 15kW with the 1.5L acts when there is no voltage output and the controller doesn't see the signal from the stator.
mikroland
Contributor
Contributor

Chris wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:11 am
Crap, that's right, this is a C Panel unit! Sorry, my head is in a million places at once today.

I don't remember how the C Panel controllers got their run signal, if it was 2 fold with a voltage AND the RPM sensor, or just the RPM sensor. Everything you describe is exactly how an older 15kW with the 1.5L acts when there is no voltage output and the controller doesn't see the signal from the stator.
Let me know if you think of it.

Also can you get the start/stop switch and off/manual/auto switch for my unit? If so what are the prices?
Birken Vogt
Generator Guru
Generator Guru

I already replied on the other place same as Chris, but I think C-panel uses a mag pickup correct? If so check if that is working and making it to the board.