25KW generator breaking generator through bolts

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, Olympian & Carrier Liquid Cooled Home Standby & Commercial generator troubleshooting and repair questions
NHSparky

Hello, I have a customer that has a Generac 25 KW liquid cooled generator that is breaking the through bolts that hold the end caps of the generator section together.
The model number is QT02516ANSN, S/N 57892719. Runs on LP gas.
I started servicing this generator in 2012. When I first inspected and serviced it, I noticed one of the generator through bolts had broken off at the threads on the engine end of the generator. I replaced the bolt with a piece of threaded rod of the same thread pitch and all seemed okay unit last year (2018).
I again noticed another of the through bolts was broken exactly as the first. I am suspecting some over torquing but was looking for some guidance if there might be any other cause of this issue.
I intend to replace all four bolts next time as it is a major pain to get to a couple of them and don't want to do it four times!
Do these bolts come as a set or do I need to buy them separately? I also notice on the parts sheet, they are shown as rods, with washers and nuts. Mine are bolts and I don't find any mention of them.
Also, as of this years inspection and service, I noticed the low gas pressure warning light is on constantly. The generator starts and runs just fine and powers the house with no problem. I was going to check incoming gas pressure, but wasn't sure exactly what this switch was looking at, although I suspect it's a bad switch.
I wanted to be sure I knew what pressure I was looking for and where to properly measure it from.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks for your time
Dave
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Dave,

Are you a dealer for Generac? Wasn't sure if you had access to parts and manuals or not?

The stator bolts would be purchased as individual pieces. I don't typically see them fail unless there is something else going on (too tight, vibration from engine, etc.)

The fuel pressure should be verified while sitting and also running and with load to make sure you don't have any issues there. Low fuel pressure could explain an engine vibration and possibly the loss of the stator bolts... The switch is looking at incoming fuel pressure, nothing more. If you've been working on these units for that long, you really should have a manometer with you. In my opinion it's just as important as a digital meter and spark plug wrench. It's impossible to do any type of engine diagnostics without one if you have running issues.

I also think you added a number to the serial number. Should only be 7 digits.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

I've run into only one broken stator bolt, air cooled and it trashed the stator and rotor. You need to find the reason, I would check the flex plate for cracks, install four new generac bolts and torque to correct specs.
Ted789955

How to make sure I have the right pressure on LP gas and also says password required
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ted789955 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:01 am
How to make sure I have the right pressure on LP gas and also says password required
Can you start a new topic and provide some information about the generator you're talking about?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power