1505 rpm sense loss

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
bucky75

I have an 11kw that had a lighting strike near by. I had to have the low voltage coil on the transfer switch replaced and the board inside the transfer switch. Also had the controller on the unit replaced. I am having trouble still as the unit will crank then slow down like battery is dying. Replaced with a new battery thinking it may have been fried too. Same thing still happen. It will do this 2 to 3 times in manual mode then it starts up fine. I have already replaced the start relay. Have checked the continuity from the relay to started its fine. What do I need to check and how do I do this. I have a fluke to do the checks with..

Thank you
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you take a video and upload it to YouTube and the copy/paste the link here? Would like to see/hear what you're talking about.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
bucky75

I will tomorrow. I had our local Generac dealer do the repair work for my insurance but when I had them come back to check this problem they said they could not find anything. Its irritating if I lose power and will still have to go out and start it manually
bucky75

Here is the link for the video on my generator

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Everything about that sounds like a bad ground or bad battery cable or something!
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
bucky75

Where is the ground off of the engine to the chassis? I see the other grounds by the controller. Is there a ground on the starter also? Dont want to have to tear things apart if I dont have too.
grsthegreat
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

There is the main ground wire from battery that bolts to frame just below starter. You only need to reach the bolt with a long extension on socket wrench.

Ive seen the same thing in past. Always been loose ground
bucky75

From everything I can feel it seems tight. I still am at a loss for why on the third try every time it is cold it will start, nothing less. Once it has run I can go back the rest of the day and start it up no problem. That is what makes me wonder why 3 tries on cold. Why not all the time when starting. This it possible it has to do with the gas valve not opening enough initially to start or is it something in the starter that takes until the third try then being fine until a long sit with no activity.
grsthegreat
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

the sounds i hear on the video point to either a corroded ground wire, crappy battery, dying starter, or poor battery lugs.

i forget, did you place a dc voltage tester on the battery while cranking. should not drop but a volt or 2 from standing voltage. that starter sounds like its hardly turning.

a gas valve has nothing to do with the week sounding starter. possible after several turns on a week starter it loostenes up stuff enough to turn faster and start.

what does starter sound like on the 3rd try when it turns over?

also, have you verified spark on both spark plugs. i had a lightning struck generator that fried only part of the ignition coil. generator was running on only 1 plug. you can get an inline spark tester at napa...simple 10 second test
bucky75

I did not check the battery voltage when cranking but will check that and the spark tomorrow. I am leaning on the starter somewhat as the problem. It makes me think the solenoid on the starter is acting up. It sounds good on the 3rd try. Maybe a little slow but still cranking pretty good. This unit is just a year old and the local company to service it says nothing they cannot find anything is bad though it faulted out 3 times when they checked it. I put a brand new battery in it after the original service work to repair it as they said then they thought the battery is bad.