Fault code 1505 no spark

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
GMontee

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:52 pm

I have a Honeywell Model G0070631
Serial # 3002481662
Generator cranks over but I get no spark to the spark plugs?
Battery test to 100% under load.

Generator has ran it's normal weekly cycle until this past week on LP.

Suspect coils but I get no fire to either plug. Any help would be grateful.
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:03 pm

Near the oil filter you will see a single white wire coming out of the black steel shroud, it plugs into the wire harness alone with three small blue or black wires. The white wire #18 grounds the coils to kill the engine, it also sends a speed signal to the control board, disconnect the wire at the plug and test for spark again and get back to us.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 pm

You'll have to be quick using that method since you will get an almost immediate 1505 RPM Sense Loss alarm. You can also do a quick check of the flywheel magnet by pulling the oil cooler off (will probably have to move over the black firewall panel a bit). The magnet should be intact and show no signs of rubbing the coils. You will probably see some surface rust which is normal for un-coated metal like that.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
GMontee

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:17 pm

Removed a red wire that connected to both coils. Was able to get spark but no startup after 2 attempts.
Thanks for the reply.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:10 pm

So with the 18 wire removed you now have spark? I would re-connect it and check again just to make sure that you really don't have spark when it's connected. The unit won't start with that wire removed so that would explain the no-start and RPM loss alarm again. It would lead me to believe that you either have a controller problem grounding the 18 wire when it's supposed to be cranking and open, or there is possibly a short in that wire or some other reason that the controller is leaving that wire grounded.
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
78buckshot
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:05 am

So now you have spark with all wires connected? If that is true then you need to move on to the fuel supply and associated controls. If you have no spark with the wires in their factory positions then continue on with what Chris is recommending.
GMontee

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:37 am

Reconnected the ground and still no spark after 2 start attempts. Manually tripped transfer switch genset attempted to start with no spark. Thank you for replying.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:19 am

It sounds like something in the controller is grounding the 18 wire and causing your no-spark condition. This could be a bad controller, bad wiring somewhere or even bad coils that are just acting strangely when connected to the controller. With a generator that new, it's time to get a dealer out there since it will be covered under warranty for you unless it was installation related.
GMontee

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Thank you will make that call.
KevinSalyer

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:09 am

check the spark plug after a failed attempt to start. If dry, then no fuel is entering engine.
Did you leave old fuel in carb? if so, your carb probably is dirty: old gasoline deposits varnish, gum, and you will need to dissassemble carb and clean it.