15kw Ultra Source regulation

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
mduplissey

I've got a 15KW Ultra source I just picked up.
Model 0045821
Serial 3794860
uses 67680 regulator and 0d4409 governor board
First fired it up It was at 170V no load and dropping under load. After opening it up all leds were lit except the Regulator led was blinking. I adjusted the stability control to get it to stop blinking. Tried to adjust voltage pot but will not go above 205 or so and when it gets past 200 it starts to sound like it is under a load. If I keep it above 200 for any length of time some kind of overload trips on the excitation and it's led goes out and the voltage goes to nothing. I have to let it sit a while and restart the generator to get any output. Is it the 67680 board or something else?

Here is a video while I am adjusting the voltage notice the engine sound change.

Marty Duplissey
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

The voltage dropping out is the DPE breaker opening trying to protect something from overload (the 2 and 6 circuit). It could be that the regulator is bad and drawing more than it should, or it could simply be that the DPE breaker is weak, or was replaced with the wrong one by someone else.

Are you absolutely sure you trust that meter?
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
mduplissey

Thanks for the reply. I do trust the meter. With the voltafe pot all the way up the most i can get is about 210v and the motir seems to load down and the dpe breaker trips pretty quickly.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's normally a symptom of a bad regulator, but the output is normally MUCH higher. You're measuring line to line correct, not line to neutral?
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
mduplissey

I am measuring the voltage at the bottom of the 50 amp breaker. This video is with the voltage pot turned all the way clockwise. The dpe breaker trips at the end. Notice the engine sound changes at the beginning of the video when i crank up the voltage all the way
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

That video explains a lot! You're never going to make the proper voltage at that RPM!

What's the frequency this gen is running at?

That sounds like about 40 or 50Hz, MUCH too slow!
mduplissey

Will put a frequency counter on it tommorrow. Thanks for all the input. Im an electronic technician but never messed with a generator. My experience is in rf electronics.
mduplissey

You pegged it. Output is 45 hz. No change under load. So can I assume the problem is either the stepper motor or the governor board? I found the service manual online this morning. I will test the stepper motor tonight.
Again thanks for your input. I want to fix it right and not throw expensive parts at it.
mduplissey

Got the service manual and did test 5 to completion. According to the sm i have a bad circuit board aka govenor board aka 0d4409. Do you agree? I hate to order a non returnable >$200 board and be wrong. Stepper motor does nothing on crank up and shows 12 ohms on all terminals to the red wire and 15b has 12v on start and wire from 15b to j2-1 is good.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

If it all shows good and there's nothing trying to move I think it's safe to assume the controller is faulty. Can you push the stepper motor up to 60Hz and get normal voltage and maintain it?

We sell that 0D4409 controller here as well: https://shop.gentekpower.com/products/g ... controller