15KW got fried. Worth messing with?

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
cabinetdan

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:04 pm

Hey guys, here's my deal. I have a 004390 2 15KW LP generator. It's been sitting for a few years, so it's time to fix it or get rid of it. Here's the story. New construction. I bought the unit for power while building and then to have as emergency backup. Somewhere along the way, by propane co. nicked my main power wires when they trenched their line to the tank. No idea why they were so deep, but it happened and we never new about it until about 5 years later when the wires finally started to corrode through. Some crazy things happened, but so far as the generator goes, it started one of the coils in the transfer switch on fire, fried the battery, and maybe the control panel? I have a donor transfer switch so swapping that coil and the few burnt wires is fairly easy. A few years ago, I hooked up a new battery and the engine will start. And if I remember correctly, I was getting 220 at the panel. But none of the lights on the panel in the generator work. I may be getting ahead of myself here, but, at this point, is it worth messing with? Can I just replace some electronics in the unit and repair the T switch and be good? I don't want to throw a ton of money at it either. Time I have. Opinions?

Thanks
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29 pm

If it runs and makes power, I would say it would be worth at least testing out!

Which lights are you talking about, the indicator lights? They don't come on in Manual mode unless there is a shutdown fault, like low oil, or overspeed.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
nrp3
Verified Dealer
Verified Dealer

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:19 am

I think if I was doing this, I'd do the valves and the usual annual tune up items. Make sure the battery was being charged properly, and then see what the voltage and frequency were. I'd get the frequency set and then get the voltage dialed in. If it looks like there's any doubt about the voltage regulator, I'd put in a new one and dial it in. Swapping in parts to the transfer switch isn't a too bad of a job. Test it all out. I'm assuming the damaged feeders were repaired.