Fails to start on first try......2nd time runs ok

Generac, Guardian, Honeywell, Siemens, Centurion, Watchdog, Bryant, & Carrier Air Cooled Home Standby generator troubleshooting and repair questions
Chukkster

Greetings...Generac model G0069980.....ser.3002768139....production date 20180302....Went online to auto operation 06/06/2018...has been starting fine up until the last four exercise cycles.....symptom is ...starts to crank and stops cranking a second or two ... then a few seconds later it cranks and starts just fine.....failed on the last 4 exercise cycles...
Todays temp is 40 degrees.....liquid propane...model 6998......7.5 kw power pact....
Thank you.........no error codes......
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

How many hours would you say are on the unit and what has the maintenance been like?

Also, knowing the fuel pressure going to the unit would be helpful.
Generac tech for over 12 years. I'm here to help!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Chukkster

Thanks for fast response.....i will ck pressure...maint is up to date..only 30 hrs run time....installed 5/31/18.....generac dealer told me that double start is normal ??? Also told me to ck air intake for spider nest or cobwebs...ser# 3002768139......can i assume that it is a 420 cc. G23 engine and correct spark plug is Champion RC14YC....thank you very much.....
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

What they're saying about the spider or wasp nest is the next logical step when having hard start issues. It's not the air intake, but the fuel regulator vent we're worried about.

If you find the fuel regulator internal to the unit (where the gas pipe enters) on the large side plate you'll see a 90* hose barb with a vent hose coming from it to the outside of the unit. Make sure that hose has not gotten anything inside of it, or on the outside screen, which would restrict the regulator's movement.

Regarding the engine: No, the spark plug should be a 0L3059 or RC9YC gapped at .030
Looking for Generac parts? Gentek Power offers the full line of Generac replacement parts! Shop Gentek Power Generac Parts
A list of my favorite Generator & Electrical Tools! https://www.amazon.com/shop/gentek_power
Chukkster

Thank you Chris........I will perform your suggestions and update you when completed......
Chukkster

Good morning Chris....thank you for the great advice......checked air input to diaphragm namely the outside vent and hose....all squeaky clean...Replaced the spark plug with a new one....found that the old plug had a gap of .070......not too good set new plug to .030.....could this affect first start.....will wait a week for auto cycle and observe....note: the old plug was not worn and not dirty....looks like it came at .070 from the factory......can I assume that these 1 cylinder air cooled engines don't run too smooth normally....seems like excessive vibration to me......maybe i should check valve clearance ?......thanks again......
Chukkster

Forgot to update you on LP supply pressure....static condition was 11.5 inches.....when generator was running it was exactly 11.0 inches......
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

That gap is HUGE for that engine! I'm sure that's not helping at all...